Thread: Job rate is extremely slow while taking a backup from server?

Job rate is extremely slow while taking a backup from server?

My problem is with the server that is in our off-site location (across the street). This has the same external hard drive and has an eSATA connection should be quicker than USB 2.0, which the site server is using. My speed on this server, although some 80-100mb/min. At this rate, the backup exactly the same takes about one and a half i.e. around 35-40 hours. I tried to exchange cables, tried to use USB and eSATA, and looked at the NIC properties and connection properties; all these values seem to be fine.
    The site server is running Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 and off-site server is running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 for Windows undersized Business Server. The server in place is the fastest and has a BCM5708C Broadcom NetXtreme II GigE NIC, and the off-site has a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet NICs.

Re: Job rate is extremely slow while taking a backup from server?

Hey buddy I think so various small files as well as disk fragmentation are the reason causing the problem to slow down the speed while taking backups. Disk fragmentation basically means not utilizing proper storage capacity. This leads in reduced performance. Thus just check it out your space in the disk it properly utilized and is it efficient? These small things should be taken care of because there are huge amount of data which should be managed. I hope I am able to help you.

What is the data source you are trying to backup? Is it on every server with the device connected to backup2disk? Backup Exec is installed on both servers? What is the connection between servers? "I believe" the connection between the server off site and the main server room is wireless N. Just check out the connection again. I think this may be the reason you go at low speed.

Because the server that the backup manages in Building 1, all data must be transferred twice through wifi connection, once the backup server, and back to USB disk. That is why it is slow. You must install another instance and therefore require a license, but you can try for 60 days of Backup Exec on the server "problem" and see if it speeds up the backup. Try this it may work for you.

See I don’t think so that the problem causing is due to external disk since it is directly attached to the server and the data transfer speed is 14.3 MBs per second. Se as you are telling that the server is managing 2 backups at a time i.e. one with 500-600 MB per minute and other one with 80-100 MB per minute. So it’s obvious that the speed is going to be slowed because the back up for other disk might be taking more time and sources.

If not using a directional antenna to your wireless contact point, you never see the advertised speeds of wireless communications. A fart in front of a non-directional antenna will reduce the yield of 30%. It's that sensitive. You must have the external directional antenna at each other. If you have to encrypt the connection that will reduce the yield by 50% in most access points cost. Just try this out.