Thread: AVG Virus Encyclopedia

AVG Virus Encyclopedia

While I read a news report regarding a virus, I can not at all discover it in the AVG Virus Encyclopedia. Today, I read concerning the Stuxnet Worm. There are lots of developers of anti-virus applications. On the other hand, that name is in fact not recognized by AVG. AVG utilize the similar names for viruses which are utilized by government agencies and other anti-virus developers. You should as well tag Virus Encyclopedia entries with the CVE numbers of the viruses and permit searches based on those numbers. Anyone has any more idea on this?

Re: AVG Virus Encyclopedia

There have been frequent attempts in the long-ago to standardize malware names but up to now all have unsuccessful. The core reason for the attempts failing is just because of the amount of new malwares which are established daily. The companies which make the protection software have to release updates as rapidly as possible to defend their clients. They do not have the time to stop for a committee to concur on what to name a malware earlier they release the detections for them.

Because of the amount of disparities of malware which exist today, when searching for malware names. It’s generally recommended that you shorten the name of what you are pointed for. As an instance if you are looking for I-Worm/Bagle.XX, just search for Bagle, this adds to the number of probable results you obtain and after that you can then narrow the search afterward if it is required. The place to start for AVG detections will all the time be on the AVG Virus Encyclopedia. It generally just lists the more unsafe malware which AVG detects though and isn't a complete catalog by any means.

Symantec's Antivirus Research Center catalogs this as W32.Stuxnet. Six added developers or sellers of anti-virus applications are as well shown to utilize "Stuxnet" in the name of the virus. Below what name does AVG's Virus Encyclopedia list this. Additional, the Virus Bulletin's VGrep database does not roll Stuxnet at all. That is even with the fact that, as a minimum two months before, this worm was scheduled by Symantec, Mitre's CVE (CVE-2010-2772), the latter two being U.S. government agencies.

In a few cases it (listing known aliases) is previously done for the individual record. However, the Virus Encyclopedia is not updated frequently therefore a few bugs are not in its database. A few variations of Stuxnet are spotted by AVG as Trojan horse dropper.generic, a few as Exploit.lnk and some as Worm, at present (I am not certain regarding exact variations at the moment). It is possible that Virus Encyclopedia does not contain precise information for every variant of the Stuxnet worm.

If the Virus Encyclopedia is not being modernized in an opportune manner, how can we users conclude whether AVG protects us against a new virus? This query is actually the base of this complete site entry. I just go through about Stuxnet and wanted to discover if the virus updates I just downloaded protected me beside it. With an earlier virus which was in the news, I learned that I could not just ask regarding it because I did not have the AVG name for it; and I could not discover what the AVG name was.