Thread: How to see all VMDK files ?

How to see all VMDK files ?

Hi, I am managing the backup exchange 2010 and I have some trouble regarding that, whenever I look my VMs I only see the vmdk file, but not the files what I actually want to see that’s the xxxx-flat.vmdk, I don’t know that can we make a backup of my data, or not, because as I am not able to see those files, it seems my machine is infected. What shall I do to see those files, do I use some third party software? Need suggestion.

Re: How to see all VMDK files ?

Off course dude that you can backup all the data in your machine, In fact I would like you suggest the tools , I am not sure that you’ll aware of this tool, but let me tell you that you can use the Vm ware agent for performing the backup of the VM, because as you have mentioned that you are using the backup exchange 2010, then according to me this tool will be the better option, it not only backup the data, but it allows you to restore the data on the VM if the backup taken is aGRT backup as well.

I would say if you want to take backup of the normal open files on the server, you can use the AOFO and this would be surely helpful to you, in fact why I am suggesting you because you have mentioned that you are not able to see those VMDK files, and I don’t know why, but at least if you keep backup of these normal files you can see the later also, if suppose the system crashes.

See you can use the quick techniques to find those VMDK files, as what I do, and will recommend you the same. I use to use the command grep -r vmdk /home/vmware//.vmx in the console, this would give me the list of all the VMDK files present in the folder, you can use the same, first of all open the service console, and then type the command, this will fetch all the files which is been presented in the home/vmware folder.

I don’t know why you are not able to see those files, because it might have many reasons, such if suppose the system is affected through viruses or may be if you have by mistakenly deleted those files then also you’re unable to see those files, but you can recover those files, what you have to do is that copy a xxxx.vmdk file from another vmdk, and the EDIT it and make sure it points at the correct xxxx-flat.vmdk, and along with that ensure that Extent description is correct.

IF you search on the internet. I heard that there are some script that is used for getting such a files, so I would recommend you to get those script files from the internet and then run it, as this will display the actual directory where all the VMDK files are stored, I am assuming you haven’t deleted anything, otherwise I am not sure that you’ll get those files or not, or else the script will rum perfectly, and as you got that files, I’d say take a backup copy also.

Hey this works actually, thanks for the immediate replies guys, as I am too happy that I am able to see all those file, that were disappeared actually. And thank you very much again, as soon they appeared i first of all made a backup copy of all the files, thus if suppose it happens again, then i would be able to use the from another location also, but didn't got the actual solution i think, but this is fine.