Thread: Wi-Fi not working after installing openSUSE 11.3

Wi-Fi not working after installing openSUSE 11.3

I recently purchased a new laptop. I have upgraded the operating system to openSUSE 11.3. I am having Dell 1395 WLAN Mini- Card in my laptop. But after installing openSUSE 11.3 I came across a strange issue. I was not able to connect to Wi-Fi after installing the new OS. I am not able to overcome this issue. I tried a lot but failed to solve the issue. Is anyone aware about this issue? If yes then please let me know about the solution.

Re: Wi-Fi not working after installing openSUSE 11.3

The issue that you have posted seems to be very interesting. Very few people have encountered such issues before. But their issue has been solved now. There can be several reasons for this issue. I don’t have much knowledge about this issue. Wi-Fi issues are basically due to some internal errors in your laptop. I haven’t faced such issues before, so it will be very difficult for me to overcome the issue. I will discuss this issue my colleagues and as soon as I get the exact solution I will let you know about it.

After I read your post I came to know about your issue. User having complete technical knowledge can easily overcome such issues. As you have recently purchased the laptop you will definitely find the issue very difficult. I will surely try my level best to help you as much as I can. To overcome the issue I would recommend you to start troubleshooting the problem in the Linux website. You get the exact solution only from that website. Try this out and inform me about it.

I am very grateful to you for all the suggestion that you have given me to overcome the issue. I visited the Linux website and started to find the solution to my issue. But I never got the solution from that website. I searched a lot but it was of no use. I also tried to know the solution from other sources but they were not aware about such issues. Are aware about some solutions to overcome the issue? If yes then give your advice related to the issue.

I also faced such issues before but it has been solved now. To solve the issue I performed some changes in the laptop settings. Those changes helped me a lot. Those changes were suggested to me by a professional. I think your issue can also be solved by performing those changes in your laptop. The changes that you need to perform are as follows:
    1 Initially open terminal and sign in as root user by typing su.
    2 After that enter your root password.
    3 Run the following command in the command line:
    hwinfo –wlan.
    4 Identify the chipset from the output that will be displayed after executing step 3
    5 Finally type the following command
    usr/sbin/install_ (your chipset name)_firmware
    e.g.: usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware
    6 The driver will get automatically installed and after that reboot your system
    After performing these settings your Wi-Fi will start working.

Thanks a lot for all the recommendation that you have given to solve the issue. I executed all the steps that you have specified me and it was successful. After executing the steps my Wi-Fi started working as it was doing initially. Those steps worked out and finally I am able to connect to Wi-Fi. I also shard the solution with all my colleagues who were not aware about it. Your suggestions helped me to overcome the issue. You are the only person from whom I got the exact solution

I have followed the instructions, but am a bit bewildered by the output. I cannot find anything on the screen which is labelled "chipset". There are 71 devices or entries, each of which has an amount of technical information, but none of them seems to have an entry labelled chipset. Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by David Dean View Post
    I have followed the instructions, but am a bit bewildered by the output. I cannot find anything on the screen which is labelled "chipset". There are 71 devices or entries, each of which has an amount of technical information, but none of them seems to have an entry labelled chipset. Suggestions?
    Can you just give a try with NetworkManger since that is the preferred mode of network connection and management in openSUSE with Wireless networks. You could also give wpa_supplicant a shot - which I was using when NetworkManager broke on 11.2 for some reason. You could also download the compat-wireless drivers from here and give it a try.