Thread: How to create soft link in Red Hat 9

How to create soft link in Red Hat 9

I recently purchased a laptop. I am having the OS Red hat in my laptop. I normally use the laptop for internet surfing, gaming, downloading movies and especially. I am quite satisfied with the OS that is installed in my laptop. I am currently using Red Hat 9 as the FTP server. I don’t have much knowledge about it. I want to create a main share folder and insert some soft links in each user folder so that the user can go to the main share from their home directory and access files as well as access the files in their home directory. But I don’t know how to do that. Is anyone aware about such issue? if yes then please inform me about it.

Re: How to create soft link in Red Hat 9

It is quite interesting issue that you have posted. Very few people have tried to do that. I am a Windows user so I don’t have much knowledge about Linux and Red Hat. Very few people know how to create soft link in Red Hat 9. As you don’t have much knowledge about Red Hat, you will definitely find the issue very complicated. I haven’t tried to create a soft link in Red Hat 9 so I don’t have any knowledge about it. I won’t be able to give you the necessary suggestion you need to create the soft link. May be someone else can help you out.

To create a soft link is quite a simple task. I will try my level best to make the solution as easier as I can so that you won’t find it difficult to execute. To create soft links first open the terminal and sign in as su. But before login create the folder “main” as root. After that place the test file in the “main” folder. After that enter the command: ln -s /home/user/main/ /home/main. Once you enter the specified then the soft link will be created. This has worked out when I executed. Try this and I think you won’t face any issue while executing the commands.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions that you gave me to overcome the issue. I executed all the commands and I was able to create the soft link which I needed. Initially I thought I will face some issue while executing the commands but it was not so. You specified the solution in the easier way because of that I didn’t face any issue to while I was executing those commands. I had one more issue that I want to discuss with you. I don’t know how to remove the links that is not required. Are you aware about this issue? If yes then please inform me about it.

To remove the soft link is also quite simple. It is the inverse of the previous one. To remove the link you need to execute some steps. The essential steps that you need to execute to remove a soft link are as follows. Initially execute the commands which are as follows just to make sure that it will work:
    rm /home/iceman/main
    rm /home/main
    mkdir /home/main
    After that execute the command: ln -s /home/iceman/main /home/main. This command should be executed in source destination. This are steps to remove soft link.

I am very grateful to you for all the responses that you have given to overcome my issues. The steps you specified to remove the soft link was the exact solution. I executed the steps to remove the soft link that was not needed and it was successful. I didn’t face any issue while executing the steps. I also shared this solution with my colleagues. Now I know how to create and remove the soft link in Red Hat 9. It is not possible without your suggestions.