Thread: Wake On LAN over internet doesn't work

Wake On LAN over internet doesn't work

There is a small network LAN in my home for my computers. Yesterday I have turned on the Wake on LAN feature for one of my computer which is connected to that network. However now it working on the network without any issues. Then I tried the same feature through internet. Now it is not LAN but WAN. However now it is also working fine at the beginning but after some amount time it will not work any longer and the system won’t boot at all. What can I do for this?

Re: Wake On LAN over internet doesn't work

As far as I know that the WOL is a broadcast. In view of the fact that the protocol is to awaken PCs, those PCs don't encompass an IP address, simply a MAC, therefore this sends a broadcast "magic" packet in the direction of a definite IP (does not affair what the target IP address is) and the workstation through the appropriate mac picks it up. Therefore it merely works surrounded by the routing domain. If you would like to carry out it distantly you necessitate a system where you able SSH to and afterward accomplish it from that system.

I gazed at a few additional settings lying on my router, and the easy respond is forever the hardest to obtain to, it looks like I did not contain the setting to permit inward bound requests in the course of my router (I don't have the display, except I imagine it was the similar screen that set the configuration to permitting ping requests otherwise not). Following I enabling that, the WOL functioned and the magic packet was being coned toward the accurate PC. It is not 100% consistent mind you, except it works some moment, for several reasons a few packets simply evaporate into space.

I'm connecting my computer or network to the internet all the way through a PPTP connection since you can observe within the ipconfig log. I have to physically create an internet connection which I carry out from side to side the sign in the correct notification region. Disconnecting is the similar process. The NIC driver must be proper. It's the one that Windows 7 chosen following a clean install. I furthermore didn't discover later ones. The BIOS is as well the most up-to-date from my notebooks producer. Prior to switching from Windows XP to Windows 7 wake-on-LAN did work exclusive of whichever issues.

Did you attempt primary to employ the WOL nearby (the MAC address within the WOL graphical user interface has to be the one of the PC that requires to be awaked, also it can Not be remote PC). I think that your router does not accomplish DHCP reservation. If your Router is companionable by DD-WRT firmware, flash it and afterward you can accomplish IP reservation. The IP reservation is along with MAC, plus IP, therefore the Router would keep the information though the PC is off. The MAC address is obtainable for the reason that the WOL competent Network card of the PC maintains it on top of the Network.