Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 24-05-2011

Network Icon missing in finder sidebar in Mac system

I have home network having 5 PC?s in it. Out of 5 PC?s three Pc?s are having the operating system Windows XP in it and the 2 MacMini are having Tiger OSX 10.4.8.But yesterday while accessing the MacMini I came across a strange issue. The MacMini refused to show the Network icon in the Finder sidebar. I tried to bring that icon back but it was of no use. Is anyone aware about such issues? If yes then please do the needful.
Old 24-05-2011

Re: Network Icon missing in finder sidebar in Mac system

The issue that you have posted is not complicated. Many users have experienced such issues before. Those users have overcome their issues. A user having technical knowledge can easily solve such issues. To overcome the issue I would recommend you to perform the following steps:
Click on the Go menu in the title bar-> click on the option ?connect to computer? from the dropdown list -> then type smb://myOfficePc -> after you type this you will get access to other PC?s on the network. This is one way through which you can get access to the PC?s that you need without the network icon.
Old 24-05-2011

I am very grateful to you for giving suggestions to overcome my issue. I am able to access the other PC?s in the network with the help of the steps that you specified. I am not facing any issue when I am trying to access the PC?s in the network with the MacMini now. But still is there any way to get the network icon back in the Finder sidebar. Are you aware about it? If yes then please let me know about the solution to get the network icon back.
Old 24-05-2011

To get the network icon back in the Finder sidebar is not a big issue. I am not use to Mac systems. I have a Windows XP Os in my PC. I have used Mac systems only 2 or 3 times. I don?t have much knowledge about Mac OS. So I am not aware about its functionalities. I haven?t tried getting the network icon back in the Mac systems. This can be reason I don?t know the exact solution for it. So I won?t be able to give you suggestion related to this issue.
Old 24-05-2011

The issue that you have posted seems to be quite interesting. Getting the network icon back in the Finder sidebar is not a big issue. I have also faced such issues before but now it has been solved. To get the network icon back you just need to perform the following steps:
Go to the Finder sidebar-> select the option preferences-> a window will pop up and in that window you can add the icons that you need in the sidebar. After you perform these steps you get the network icon back in the finder sidebar.
Old 25-05-2011

Thanks a lot for all the recommendation that you gave me to overcome my issue. I performed all the steps that you specified and it has been successful. I got the network icon back in the Finder sidebar. Many of my friends were also facing the same issue; I forwarded the steps that you specified to overcome the issue. Your suggestions helped me a lot. If in future the same issue occurs then would be able to overcome it.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , , ,