Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2011

Norton using 60% CPU after upgrading

Here's my trouble which no one at Norton assist can solve. I upgraded from NIS 2009 to NIS 2011. As then, about one time a week to 10 days I discover my laptop fan running packed out and the CPU usage on the task manager to be frozen at 60 per. This is all extreme, Norton. I have stopped up to 1 day for this to discontinue, and it won't, the just way to end this is to reboot. Later than the reboot it is nice for a week after that the trouble persists. I have installed NIS, by means of the Norton un-installer and reinstalled it. The trouble remains. On this PC the OS is Windows XP SP3 home. Does anybody have any thoughts? I have been utilizing Norton products since 2002 without such an incidence.
Old 12-05-2011

Re: Norton using 60% CPU after upgrading

While you upgraded from NIS 2009 to NIS 2011, how was the upgrade completed? I would suggest that you uninstall the program totally and methodically. Please obtain your key from Norton account. Please back up your identity safe file if you utilize that function. Please download and save NIS 2011 and Norton Removal Tool to your desktop. Please choose the correct Norton product which you wish to remove. As well please be conscious that it will eliminate all Norton products, so back up Identity Safe with the program to back that up.
Old 12-05-2011

That is really a great idea; I will run a disc check to seem for errors. As for my earlier security system it was NIS 2009 detached by the Norton removal tool. Your query regarding other programs running, there are not any at the time of the high CPU usage just ccsvchst.exe. One thing though, two times about 7 hours earlier than the high CPU trouble an error message window emerged "instruction 0x7c9113c2 failed to, click OK to end", that I did with no trouble. This error relates to agent.exe that is Roxio updater, which runs one time a week.
Old 12-05-2011

I just feel your ache as my laptop is doing the exact similar thing at present (ccSVCHST.exe sitting at around 70%) making my system about impracticable. This has been going on for ages and to be frank I thought it was my crappy Dell laptop! So I determined to unlock the Resource Monitor and it?s in fact Norton! I thought Symantec had specie its software out. If anybody has a fix then I would wish to know. I am running NIS2010 so the just thing for me to do presently is upgrade to 2011.
Old 12-05-2011

There are known cases where utilize of the Norton Removal Tool has busted a Roxio program. It is probable, though not sure, that the NRT might have someway tainted the Updater. How that might form into your circumstances and the CPU usage, is anyone's guess. Might be pertinent, or totally unrelated- but it is interesting if removing the damaged Roxio application determines the trouble you are having with Norton. If required, you could maybe reinstall the Roxio Updater, as most probably, if a spoiled file is involved a novel installation would replace it with a functioning version and the whole thing would be well- of course that might be pressing your luck.
Old 13-05-2011

It has been over 3 weeks as I detached the Roxio updater from my PC, and my NIS 2011 has had no trouble at all. In that I have completed not anything else but un-install the Roxio updater, I have to conclude that it was Roxio which caused the trouble with Norton, the ccsvchst freezing at 60% CPU usage. The Roxio updater would seem for updates at concerning 9 to 10 day gaps and a few hours later than that the ccsvchst would freeze, requiring a restart to solve the trouble.
Old 15-05-2011

Did this continue for longer than half an hour? Lots of people, including myself, have seen ccsvchst.exe unexpectedly become pretty active for no obvious reason. Occasionally this can last a moment, as Norton does anything it is doing. If things do eventually settle down and the circumstances do not recur frequently, I would not be too worried. On the other hand never-ending high CPU usage is not common.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , , , ,