Thread: Found “securityrisk.orphaninf” while scan PC with Norton

Found “securityrisk.orphaninf” while scan PC with Norton

Today morning when doing a scan of my PC a "securityrisk.orphaninf" was establish on that drive with a file called "autorun.inf". Luckily the file was detached by Norton. But I do scans of my computer's hard drive approximately each other day, and I did a scan of my portable hard drive last week (that was the last time I had the hard disk plugged in). And bearing in mind the portable hard drive is 1 years old, I am speculating whether or not it was a fake positive or that I missed something someplace. And suggestion would be appreciated, thank you.

Re: Found “securityrisk.orphaninf” while scan PC with Norton

This is a new characteristic which was rolled out this week with the most recent virus descriptions. If you notice this detection it is just because the autorun.inf had an orientation to a file which could not be originate. This can occur for any number of reasons. When it is an attack vector for a few malware, “securityrisk.orphaninf” just means that the file referenced in the autorun.inf is lost and the autorun.inf gets detached.

Especially portable exterior devices are applicant for viruses. Majority of the times they are associated to over one system with an operating system. After that, if one system is impure, it can simply infect a portable drive to extend the virus. Last year, the daughter of my uncle came back from a backpack trip in S-America with lots of wonderful photos of her journey on USB sticks. All her USB sticks were impure by the systems of the internet shops she visited there. I could sterilize the drives with Norton and Malware bytes, earlier than something grave ensued with her system at home!

I all the time though that an operating system is necessary in order to acquire a computer virus. A portable exterior device doesn’t have a operating system, thus I don’t pretty understand how a exterior hard drive could get a virus; though I could notice how it would be probable to have files on the device which are impure, and plugging it in to your PC could probable pollute your pc. Norton discovered the viruses straight upon connection and detached the autorun.inf infection.

Thank you everyone for such a great replies. The Portable Hard Drive I utilize I just utilize on this PC to back up things like movies, pictures, and a few documents. It is just utilized it on my one computer. I have scanned with Norton frequent times, and utilized other programs for Malware and Spyware, and not anything has popped up. As well not anything in my registry or procedures is impure. So it looks to me it was just Norton caution me of a file which looked like a virus. Thanks once more for the replies and help.