Thread: Difference between RIS and Ghost

Difference between RIS and Ghost

I am using the Remote installation so far, and it’s just exciting feature for deploying the windows remotely. As it automatically find the Rid server and starts installation but in the company I am working they are using Ghost cast server for installing the operating system. The problem is like we can do it by the USB or CD only which has a ghost client. Is there any way for doing the same without use of USB or CD? Which one is better to use? Any suggestion?

Re: Difference between RIS and Ghost

According to me Remote installation service is better for deploying the OS as its automatically joins the domain with all the settings you like to have, along with that while installing it also prompt for the computer name the you want to have. But you haven’t mentioned the version of the OS your company is currently using. Because the problem regarding Remote Installation Server is that, it is the feature included in the server 2000, and I am not sure about the server 2003. You can get that information from the internet too.

Ghost is a disk cloning program which is sold by the Symantec. If you consider the file system as a major concern than ghost only support the FAT32 directly as for supporting another system it has to perform some operation like it generally copies the sector. Additionally ghost has too many versions that is made as a enhancement to the next. That’s why it is the technology that most probably used in the companies. In fact I personally recommend you to use ghost rather than Remote Installation Server.

I suggest you to use Norton ghost as it has added too many new features in their software’s like it supports blue ray disk support and as in security it provides the advanced compression as well as encryption. But RIS in turn support software self repair, or operating system self repair features which help the user not to install the whole software instead the missing files can be fixed. According to me ghost is the best software because it not only install the OS but also it can make the images which perhaps we can use it through the RIS.

Answer to your query is yes you can use the Norton ghost without CD also but for that you must have to use the recent software. Actually it happens because of the recovery environment provided by the Norton services. And along with that you can restore the computer programs as well as other important files. It is the best way for keeping the image as it save the hard drive space. I had just heard about that but not have the proper idea.

Yup, it seems like you got correct idea for installing the OS, for doing these there are certain steps. Firstly reboot the PC and select Norton recovery environment listed in the menu, after that attach any desired portable devices to your personal computer, continue the recovery. After this a menu will appeared in that you have to choose t he time zone from the drop down list, and then choose Ok. The recovery tool will use the time zone for determining the appropriate recovery point for the ghost image. Then exit from there the ghost will start restoring the data without CD.