Thread: Need information in full disk encryption and sleep mode

Need information in full disk encryption and sleep mode

I've done a full disk encryption with BitLocker and TrueCrypt on my laptop and desktop, respectively. If I just put my laptop on standby waiting / when I leave, I realize that I'm alone I asked for Windows (Vista) password when I wake up. Does this mean that if someone steals my laptop while within sleep mode, the disk encryption will not facilitate? It seems to recommend that "give the Prompt for password when computer resumes from sleep setting is sufficient to mitigate risk. So I'm confused. What if I hibernation? Is that enough?

Re: Need information in full disk encryption and sleep mode

You raise some good problem, ones I acquire asked repeatedly about Whole Disk Encryption products. So WDE does not protect against rootkits, viruses and other malware. Does not protect against bad dreams and so cleaning does not provide the same level of protection as hibernation. Place the system in hibernation will Authentication Bit Locker resting on restart, where the dream is based on the Windows credentials and is not a known attack but potentially non-realist against this. Hope that clears some things up.

The dissimilarity lies in the actuality that "the dream" will not turn on the system, while the "hibernation" does. The dream state is also known as the Suspend to RAM - meaning that the system is placed in a mode of very low power consumption, but is still on. When you wake up from sleep mode, the systems are in the same state you left it. You can protect the clock; just like you can password protect the screen saver.

Hibernation, however, is to suspend to disk. By entering hibernation, the contents of RAM are written to a file reserved on disk, and the system is off physically. As soon as you turn the computer on, it will perform the whole thing as though you were turning it on intended for the first time. It will go through the BIOS POST, load the boot loader you need your password to decrypt the disk and load the operating system. Once charging starts, the operating system (Windows in your case) is detected that a state of hibernation stored, and charged that state back to the RAM.

PGP Whole Disk Encryption is completely companionable through hibernation into Windows. If the PGP Whole Disk Encryption System in support of Windows goes within hibernation, inside restoring power to the system, the BootGuard PGP will inquire for your password. Following entering your password resting on the disk is decrypted and returned to its earlier state. Complete disk encryption capable of be a great anti-forensic technique, however there is a risk that the malware as a keylogger are able to be installed through a lack of superior anti-virus and anti-malware.