Thread: Malware deleted all files on hard drive

Malware deleted all files on hard drive

The thing is that I had some sort of infection where in the first symptom the system was lagging and it took a long time to pull up the task manager and I would end tasks for Explorer, etc, and when I finally could interact with the OS again, large amounts of my files were deleted like the media files, configuration files, etc which were present on the hard drive.So I am sure that this are some sort of malware that has deleted on the hard drive.Please do get back to me on this as I am waiting for the solutions.

Re: Malware deleted all files on hard drive

I feel that there is some sort of vista infections that might have appeared to delete files and this is the main reason of worry. Also at the same time I would say that they might have even corrupted the registry.So for that reason you need to search the files and see whether they are intact or not. At the same time I would say that if you have a MBR virus then a simple format isn't enough. You need to then go for a low level formatter like maxllf which will definitely do your job and then there wont be any issues.

What you can do is that you can just try MBR repair tools and that is the one that goes after the rootkits. But at the same time I would say that they even try to be unreliable and there are many who just look in the defined MBR areas. I guess this is the main issue and you just need to be more careful in such areas. At the same time I would say that the most infections add to your worry and point to any other disk level editors.

Thanks a lot for the solutions that you have provided and I am really happy for the prompt replies that you have provided.I just went through then and will immediately work on them to remove this malwares that are currently present. Also I would say that if there are any alternate solutions that are available then do get back to me as I am waiting for the solutions that you will provide. Also if there are any issues that are present with me then I will get back to you all to solve the problem.

According to me as the operating system is Vista then they must have deleted the files that were present in your hard drive .And this is because the amount of space that is free on the HD must have increased and I can only get the files back by using some kind of undelete software that are present. So the thing is that if you do a low level format then it does needs to be the entire hard drive.This is due to the partition that you want the OS to be on.So this is what needs to be done and then I am sure that there wont be any problem with you.

Thanks a lot for the solution that you have provided to me as they were really useful to me. I feel that the cause of the malware that were present in the system that deleted my files in hard drive has been detected. So I would really like to appreciate you for the solutions that were presented to me as they were really handy and they helped me to get away with the problems that I was facing in the past with this malware.