Thread: Buying laptop - is fingerprint security worth it?

Buying laptop - is fingerprint security worth it?

I have some problems. I'll buy a lap top and do not know what model or make a purchase. However, my main concern is safety. I have a boss who has a tendency to break into our personal laptops (not owned by the company) as he pleases. It's a crazy degree in computer equipment and seems to know how to do more things that our IT people. Anyway, nobody expects to leave their laptops at night and will not have access to them. Somehow he manages to evade the passwords for system implementation. How? I have no idea. But we made sure that happened. This is an issue quite seriously as our privacy is violated. I'm thinking of buying a new laptop and am considering the option of fingerprint technology as a means of preventing anyone from accessing my laptop anywhere. However, I understand that behaves the same way as a password-protected system, and if that's the case, and people can enter the system and bypassing the password, what's the point? Is there any way to prevent access, the very start, with fingerprint technology or anything else for that matter? If so, what is?

Re: Buying laptop - is fingerprint security worth it?

I work with laptops. I had all sorts of access requests retrieval of data or a file for example, I lost my BIOS password can be removed? Or I cannot enter a profile to see what has been hiding can remove your password? Etc. These things are easy to move, even when users configure biometric passwords to prevent people from booting your machine, easy to navigate. And when they set biometrics Windows passwords for logins, it is easy to remove. All I have left so far is that the biometric "Safe" folder. Basically comes standard on the Toshiba machine with biometric technology and uses your fingerprint as an encryption key for all files you get into that folder, and if you really want to get technical assistance and remove the drive to try to access these data guess what, you cannot. Is supposed to set a password as a backup copy of your fingerprint, but not really necessary and only weakens the security of the folders. You can even put files that mail store to prevent people from opening your mail, just be sure to unlock the "safe" applications before opening the files of references that remain in it.

I like to look for cleanness. For me, bring the laptop home every time has its own difficulty. It also does so with a detachable drive. I can take a simpler route. Create a new encrypted drive, practical to save all the data. You can move all data, including emails, text documents, and so on. There are several programs. Some are free, some are free for use on a small scale, and some are high-end programs. I use Cryptainer, and I am very much scarified with it. Enter a password for the load. Close the program to protect. Choose the right, and you have high-end cryptography (supposedly) but the government cannot break.

Functionality of fingerprint security Users may register up to ten fingers because the software has the ability to store all ten fingers to one user. Usernames and passwords associated with registered finger prints are stored in a database located on the user's computer. When necessary, the interactive software sends the user names and passwords for supported applications and web sites that can be used to perform the input operation automatically.

Application and software support for fingerprint security. This device could be useful in a public setting, since it can prevent others from seeing the passwords to be entered in. However, it is more a convenience than a real access control system. Currently, only x86 (32 bit) support for Windows XP and Vista there. Support Site Microsoft says there is support for Windows 7.

I agree with the majority on the creation of secure drives and folders, but you must be sure it's backdoor into your system safe in case of a hardware and / or system failure, that can recover your data safe. In the past I've seen people lose their data securely when part of the overall security system has failed. This is an area where I would not be a victim. Also, if one uses a third party application for file / folder / drive security, or encrypted file using the Windows / System folder, make sure you own the security keys to unlock a failed system, so you can recover secure data. Even better, do practices run to get the system data before relying on the system?

Well, you're optimistic. I registered my fingerprints all right on my new Toshiba Tecra. Logon using fingerprints accepted approximately once every five. And I just can log in normally and ignore the fingerprinting in any case. Now may be quite possible to disable the regular login, but why should - be stranded most of the time? And it's quite possible I'm doing something wrong. But the first 2 / 3 times it worked. Perhaps it has something damaged, but this is not a letter of support. Meanwhile, his boss is clearly someone who must avoid social. I also live in a developing country and becomes the boss. Such behavior is unacceptable, and if it makes you go, who has lost a good worker. Want to have a word with this idiot?