Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 23-04-2011

cannot install OS linux on Dell PowerEdge R210

hello friends, I am having a Dell PowerEdge R210 server. I have read about its good performance and compatibility which led me to get it. I also consulted with the dell about its performance and they told me that it is very reliable. But now I am having some problem with the installation. When I try to install Linux (Suse Linux Enterprise Server 11.0) operating system I fail to do so. After running CD systems management Tools and Documents, I cannot find operating system. Can anyone please tell me what the problem is.
Old 23-04-2011

Re: cannot install OS linux on Dell PowerEdge R210

Dell PowerEdge R210 delivers great performance. I am also having the same, but never had such problem. There can be some other way to install Suse Linux Enterprise Server on the unit. I think there should not be any issue with the older copy of SMTD installation disk. With the Dell PowerEdge R210 you can set up an array via controller and then try to boot with the SLES disk. Try this prior to start booting the Dell PowerEdge R210.
Old 23-04-2011

The older version of the SMTD installation disk doesn?t have SLES11. if you have preference using the SMTD disk route, then there is a on board component which functions the same as the SMTD disk. When the unit switches on you will get the option for choosing System Services by hitting F10. this option is listed under BIOS when you press F2. When you get into the module you need to select OS Deployment and then advance through the Menus to install the operating system.
Old 23-04-2011

I guess you should not have any problem in installing the SLES11 operating system unless you make any mistake during the installation. When the Dell PowerEdge R210 powers on, then go to the BIOS module and then choose System Services. Here Select OS Deployment and you are done with the SLES11 operating system installation. One question is there in my mind about the HD controller you ordered for this unit. I hope my advice proves to be helpful to you.
Old 23-04-2011

If you are having problem in installing Linux operating system into the R210 unit then just try the F10 procedure mentioned by my friend I the above post. You will require the SMTD or dell ftp site if you do not have the IDRAC express or enterprise. The BMC doesn?t have any built in drivers and the IDRAC express and enterprise is optional. I don?t have the knowledge about the HD controller you are using. I guess you are using S300 controller. If you are sill having problem then consult the Dell and they will help you in installation.
Old 26-04-2011

Thank you all for your kind replies and meaningful suggestions. I just resolved the installation problem for which I was not able to proceed further. I just powered on the PowerEdge R210 and choose BIOS. From the BIOS I selected System Services. Here I have to again had to choose OS Deployment. After following the entire procedure I was successfully done in installing the Suse Linux Enterprise Server (SLES11). Now the unit is working fine and there is no issue with it. Thanks again.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , , ,