Thread: Upgrade Bios PowerEdge 2850

Upgrade Bios PowerEdge 2850

Hello, i am having a dell PowerEdge 2850 server. I am thinking of upgrading the BIOS . currently I am having A05 and I want it to upgrade it to A07. I have read somewhere about the bootable floppy disk. can anyone tell how to create such disk. Is it true that I will have to upgrade other things in my server with the upgradation of BIOS. Please suggest me some ideas .

Re: Upgrade Bios PowerEdge 2850

If you are willing to upgrade the BIOS then make sure that you have the proper knowledge about BIOS. You should know your system specification and requirements. Be sure that the version to which you are going to upgrade should support the system, or else your system will not boot and it will damage the BIOS flash. Can you give the complete specification of the server and the operating system that you are running on the system.

You can upgrade the BIOS for PowerEdge 2850 server up to v.1.72 A09 . you can create bootable CD as floppy has become outdated. Blank CDs are available easily but I don’t think floppy disks are manufactured any more. You can create a bootable USB key and with the help of it you can perform updation. The Systems Build and Update Utility (SBUU) make use of Server Update Utility (SUU) to perform the update for the entire system. The Systems Build and Update Utility (SBUU) is bootable.

If you want to use floppy disk, then you need to download the floppy version and update it. If you are upgrading the BIOS for PowerEdge 2850, then update all system firmware like ESM and RAID controller, after upgrading is complete. To update all the system firm ware , you need to download System Build and Update Utility(SBUU) and Server Update Utility(SUU). Boot to SSBU and here select to update system firmware. When you are asked to enter Updates Repository, put in the SUU DVD.

I downloaded the floppy version and updated it. As one of my friend suggested that if I am upgrading the BIOS then I need to update the firmware also. So I updated the system firmware like ESM and RAID controller. Now I am having the upgraded version of BIOS for Dell PowerEdge 2850 and it is working fine. Thank you guys for sparing your valuable time and answering my questions. Thank you all once again.