Thread: How To Setup QNAP TS-439 Pro Turbo as Home NAS Server

How To Setup QNAP TS-439 Pro Turbo as Home NAS Server

I am looking for instructions and some help to configure a Home NAS Server - QNAP TS-439 Pro Turbo. It is the latest 4-bay NAS from QNAP and it offers a platform for huge information distribution, all-in-one company server aspects, sophisticated RAID data security, integrated iSCSI target service, AES 256-bit encryption, and the capability to hot-swap HDDS. I heard that we can experience home network by the use of PlayStation 3, Mac OS, Windows Vista, as well as Ubuntu Linux on Gigabit Ethernet.

Re: How To Setup QNAP TS-439 Pro Turbo as Home NAS Server

I establish the TS-439 extremely trouble-free to setup and utilize. The NAS served up data at sensible speeds, and the concerts of NFS was outstanding. I am glad through the media server functionality and it was extremely effortless to obtain my media supplied to my PS3. I would have admired a handbook or additional complete credentials for Twonky, although. In addition, I had a few problems with the better pattern points for example setting the UIDs in order that I would have correct permissions on all files.

• Dispatch NAS for evaluation.
    • Bring together low power computer through FreeNAS for a straight evaluation.
    • Experiment committed NAS box vs. homebrew NAS/PC in cost, power expenditure, along with performance.
    • Give estimation if an out-and-out NAS box is the superior option.

I am interested on this while you can construct a short power dual core AMD system among 2GB of RAM for beneath $200. Afterward like this NAS box you just put in the drives otherwise if you would like the RAID card(s).

I lately configured a NAS by the use of FreeNAS as the operating system. FreeNAS is so little and utilizes so slight of system possessions that I was capable to load the OS onto a compressed Flash card. Intel creates a 35W Celeron maintain power necessities low. Here are the smallest amount hardware necessities for FreeNAS.
    • Motherbaord - ASRock Conroe1333
    • Processor - Celeron 420 35watt,
    • Memory - 2x512MB (1GB) DDR2-667,
    • CPU Case - Rosewill R-218,
    • RAID Controller - 3Ware 8506 8-port SATA
    • Drives - 2-320GB WD drives
    • PSU- Corsair 450w

I'm pleased to speak that FreeNAS does an enormous work storing and giving out my files. From the time when my early installation of the creation, I put in and updated 3 HDDs on my server and the procedure was extremely simple and uncomplicated. FreeNAS effortlessly documented my new HDDs and permitted me to insert and distribute them for storage without any isssues. I make use of the Transmission Bittorrent client in order to download my media; therefore I am not securing up my workstation with a detach bit torrent client.

I vigorously suggest FreeNAS if you are searching for a free of charge (or extremely affordable) answer intended for a file server. You will require distinguishing several fundamental technical information regarding your house network, similar to your IP address configuration, and you will require having a numerous port router otherwise switching on home network, except further than that, it is comparatively trouble-free to administer and develop.