Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 23-03-2011

Internet Ports Will Not Open

Hello:

I am trying to open up certain ports to host multiplayer games on the internet on my computer and on Xbox 360.

The only internet service provider is primecast. I am able to open the ports on my router but the ports still show closed using portforward.com portchecker. I disabled all firewalls and Anti-Virus, no luck. I even connected my computer directly to the modem, the ports are still closed. The Router is a Linksys WRT400N set to single band. The modem is an Alcatel although there is no model number (it has a fiber optic connection, coax connection and 2 ethernet port connections). The condo is cat 5 ready so the router has multiple ethernet cables which go to the ethernet wall plugs throughout the apartment which is how I connect to my desktop.

Do you think you can help me with this problem?

Sincerely,

Evan Fish

Win 7 x64
Intel I5 750 1186
12 GB Ram
1.5 Tb HDD in Raid Striping
ATI Radeon HD 5770
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alcatel.jpg (84.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by EFish : 23-03-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Forgot to add router information
Old 23-03-2011

Re: Internet Ports Will Not Open

PS When I go into ipconfig I now see IPv4 and IPv6, I don't know if that has something to do with it but to my knowledge these sections were not here previously (before I moved).
Old 24-03-2011

This picture sums up where I am right now
Attached Images
File Type: png portproblem.png (569.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 24-03-2011

I think that first of all first, you must set a static IP address on the server, so for that you have to click on the Start menu, and then click Control Panel > After the “Network Connections” window opens, right click on the Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection which controls the connection to the router.

1. After the “Local Area Connection Properties” or the “Windows Network Connection Properties” window appears, click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then click on the Properties button.

2. Once the “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties” window opens, change the option from “Obtain an IP address automatically” to Use the following IP address. Set the options under “Use the following IP address” and “Use the following DNS server addresses” to the following:

•IP: 192.168.1.20
•Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
•Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
•Preferred DNS server: 192.168.1.1
.1.Click OK then OK or Close.
Old 24-03-2011

done, ports still closed, its so frustrating!
Old 24-03-2011

If you have already set your WRT400N for gaming, then you should reboot it (the WRT400N), so that it now gets to share the public IP. Connect your other computers via the WRT400N or you can also connect everything else via your WRT400N. The new network section that can't talk though because of the firewall built into it.
Old 25-03-2011

Thanks for all your help everyone! The ports are still closed =(. When I run my computer directly to the modem the ports are still closed. Lost.
Old 26-03-2011

Have you tried to setup port forwarding on this router your computer needs to have a static ip address. Try the free PF Setup Static IP Address Program which will setup a static ip address for you. Or you can take alook at our Static IP Address guide to setup a static ip address. More information can be found here.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , , ,