Thread: What is Power over Ethernet (PoE) for Router

What is Power over Ethernet (PoE) for Router

I have recently took a new router and I want to know more and more about this router and networking things. I have just heard about the Power over Ethernet which is like bouncer ball for me. I just didn't got the concept of this thing using with the routers. Can you guys tell me that what is Power over Ethernet (PoE) for Router and how can I use it?

Re: What is Power over Ethernet (PoE) for Router

It allows you to prevent the router from getting burned disposables a UPS. The system PoE can power a device using two-wire cable. Operation is simple, the networks of 100 Mbps using only 2 of the 4-pair cable (of course never should NOT be used in networks or 1000 Mbps Gigabit Lan ). If you have installed a splitter in your house and you have the router next door, presumably elsewhere in the house you will have a PC or a switch with more computers. In my case this computer is protected with a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), which prevents voltage spikes and dips as well as the computer turns off suddenly if the power goes out. Obviously this can also be applied to any networked device that is far from the UPS, a perfect example would be a fonera protected inside a waterproof case that is placed on the facade.

The problem arises of how to connect the router to the UPS transformer if there are several rooms in the middle so easily solved by our system passive POE. In this case it is passive because the food processor gives the device itself, there are other active models directly injecting them current, but do not follow any standard and it is necessary to carefully choose the appropriate one for our device, if it compatible. The operation is very simple, in the UPS must connect the transformer to the UPS and connect the PoE cable socket and insert the network cable between the PoE cable to the router and computer. In this way the computer is still connected and PoE sends power transformer for the cable pair is not used. At the other end, sandwiching the other PoE and plug the power connector to the router.

A potential small and uncomfortable problem is that not all processors connectors are the same, if you're a bit clever you can splice connectors that we do serve, as well as the passive POE is not very expensive (about 6 euros round) can have more than one and change it as needed. The most important thing (especially if the transformer is current) is that the polarity of the connector should be the same, ie, the wire previously connected to the outside of the connector must continue to connect with the outside of the connector, as with the inside, using a multimeter in these cases will get us out of doubt. If we invest in error, it could damage the device.

In my house I installed a pair of these POE and I have worked wonders, along with a plaque to filter the voltage coming through the telephone network, has survived storms now 2 and stays on even if power is lost (while UPS battery lasts, of course ...). If you're a little hands, you can build it yourself, the materials are listed in the schema itself. The general idea is that if it gets a surge, the varistor short-circuited, causing the overflow resulting ground and causing the fuse blows. The last is the ultimate protection varistor if the above fail. You must be careful when you connect to the wires and one side goes to the external line and one to the telephone line from the house.