Thread: Mac console showing wrong computer name

Mac console showing wrong computer name

I am having very strange problem with the Mac of mine. Well I am having very strange issue on when I am launching the terminal the computer of mine. It shows ‘terrencelee’ on the terminal. Well this particular thing ‘terrencelee’ is not the name of Mac of mine. I don’t know why this happening into situation of mine. Please let me know if you are having any appropriate solution to fix the problem. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Mac console showing wrong computer name

I am unable to find out why this happening in the situation of yours. Well let me know what name is being showed in to System Preferences. You have to go System Preferences and click on the Sharing Panel. Let me know the name of the computer in that particular place. Also let me know what do you see when any computer on the Network try to access the computer of yours. Answer the above mentioned question as soon as possible.

I really want to say thank you for the prompts reply of yours. Well you asked me for the sharing name of the computer of mine,. For your information the sharing name is AXS. However the name on the terminal is same as which I have already posted in the thread of mine that is ‘terrencelee ‘. Now tell me why this happening into the system of mine. Please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks again for replying promptly.

I am unable to get why this happening in to the situation of yours. Well I am posting following two commands which you should run on the terminals of yours. You can find Terminal from the Utilities on your Mac.
    Code:
    hostname
    echo $PS1
    Run the above mentioned command on the terminal and post the output generated after execution of the above mentioned command. I am waiting for the prompt replies of yours. Thanks a lot for your corporation.

Well as far as I know this problem is very common where DNS is not being used. Mac normally notifies with hostname of the Windows which is using IP address. If you build the DNS on your network then I think there won’t be any issue. Well I have seen that this particular option is not used by the large number of environment, you really need to use proper computer name rather than using DNS name which is supposed to wrong for Mac when DNS name option is turned off into large environment.

Well looking at the situation I don’t think this issue is associated with SEP. I have already told you that it is showing wrong name on the terminal. Well I have tried to set proper computer name on SEP rather than using DNS. I can do only one thing that is forcing SEP console to display Computer Name or Host name. I think there is pipe issue. SEP client is supposed to send the information which requested by you.