Thread: Can I use FCoE for convergence of data networks?

Can I use FCoE for convergence of data networks?

I feel really lucky that I found discussions (finally) over here about the FCoE. I was searching solutions for my question and was getting irritated coz, I was not getting it anywhere!! But now I am happy..!! This forum rocks.. Now coming to the point, I want to ask that can I use FCoE for convergence of data networks? I am sure that some scholars must be knowing about it. Please provide detailed information along with some notes about encapsulation and network technologies in comparison.

Re: Can I use FCoE for convergence of data networks?

FCoE for the convergence of data networks
    By including Jumbo frames (1580 byte packet size over) have the 2 KByte FC frames during transport via Ethernet not be fragmented - a prerequisite of FCoE. About the FCoE Discovery protocol configuration data to be exchanged in order to identify faulty implementations in advance. Switches and adapters can also their positions in the network at the MAC level recognize it.

FCoE is designed to encourage the convergence of the two data networks. With FCoE FC alone, only about today's Ethernet connections would be tunneled, and you make the pause control of Ethernet advantage. In order to produce true convergence is another sub-protocol called FCoCEE (FC over Convergence Enhanced Ethernet) is required, takes corrective action in the Ethernet, to allow for multiple traffic classes and priorities together. keep existing SAN capabilities such as zoning, multipathing, or World Wide Name addressing receive.

FCoE encapsulates exactly one FC frame and a checksum in a small Ethernet -frame, ie, FC frames are not fragmented in several Ethernet frames. Several smaller FC frames are not consolidated into an Ethernet frame. This FCoE frames are native Layer-2 Ethernet frames with the characteristic Ethertype identifier FCoE. In contrast to iSCSI, transported the native SCSI data over TCP is avoided in this FCoE protocol overhead because the data is sent without the data for higher protocol layers. With Ethernet , the minimum frame length of 64 bytes, 28 bytes of FC, however. Therefore, the Ethernet frames are padded to the minimum size of 64 bytes. But the question of how to fill this gap is filled and whether a length field is used or a time stamp is to be carried out to a stimulating debate between the FCoE initiators - now seems an agreement to be found. For access control (ACL) could the MAC addresses are used. For locally assigned MAC addresses, this is the easier and correspond to the zoning concept of FC.

Fibre Channel over IP FCIP is already an approach that FC frames by means of IP packets between two FC switches tunnels. The original FC- Switch sends its packets to the FCIP switch, FC packets in IP datagrams are packed and this means the network switch sends to other FCIP. There, from the FCIP switch the IP package and sends the original FC packets to the local FC switch. IFCP also packed FC frames into IP packets, but is not limited to the switch-to-switch communication.