Thread: A doubt regarding working of DHCP

A doubt regarding working of DHCP

Hi...

I have adoubt regarding working of DHCP Plz find the below

In my LAN I have two DHCP servers in two different network (eg:-192.168.1.0 network & 192.168.10.0 network)
    If i connect a pc or laptop to my LAN, from which DHCP it recives the IP.
    Can i set a priority to a perticular network for answering the DHCP query.

optronindia Guest

Re: A doubt regarding working of DHCP

Hi,

Do you have DHCP servers on Same physical network? Why would you need 2 DHCP servers on same physical network?

You can't setup priority to receive ip from specific server.

Quote Originally Posted by Lijomyalil View Post
    Hi...

I have adoubt regarding working of DHCP Plz find the below

In my LAN I have two DHCP servers in two different network (eg:-192.168.1.0 network & 192.168.10.0 network)
    If i connect a pc or laptop to my LAN, from which DHCP it recives the IP.
    Can i set a priority to a perticular network for answering the DHCP query.
    Welcome to the forums here. Regarding the issue of yours I would just like to say that the DHCP servers can coexist on the same SUBNET till the clients that are there are on the same SUBNET. If you have routers between the DHCP servers and clients then you will be required to make use of the DHCP relay agent so that the things can work in a better manner. You will be required to configure DHCP relay agent so that it can service the 192.168.1.0 network and then you will have to make arrangements such that 192.168.10.0 network will point to DHCP server. In addition to this you really cannot have the priority set there. Hope that you have got the clarification in the matter there.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrie View Post
    Welcome to the forums here. Regarding the issue of yours I would just like to say that the DHCP servers can coexist on the same SUBNET till the clients that are there are on the same SUBNET. If you have routers between the DHCP servers and clients then you will be required to make use of the DHCP relay agent so that the things can work in a better manner. You will be required to configure DHCP relay agent so that it can service the 192.168.1.0 network and then you will have to make arrangements such that 192.168.10.0 network will point to DHCP server. In addition to this you really cannot have the priority set there. Hope that you have got the clarification in the matter there.
    Thankyou for your replay Adrie...
    i have one more query
    When a client PC connected to a network will send a DHCP Discovery message to the LAN and in the above senario there are two DHCP servers in two different network in the very same LAN.So which DHCP server will send DHCPOFFER message to the client??? and imagine that there is no router in between two network....