Thread: Cannot access Desktop files from laptop in same homegroup

Cannot access Desktop files from laptop in same homegroup

I have 2 computers and they are as follows:
    • Comp1-Intel Quad core desktop with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
    • Comp2- Acer laptop running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Exclusive of a mutual homegroup, both computers cannot observe every other by all, even though they can at rest ping rear and onward. By way of a Homegroup – I am able to ping in either way; can still stream in both ways. I can access all files on the laptop from the desktop by the use of network feature. The desktop computer cannot still notice the laptop within Homegroup but laptop can see PC. However I cannot access the desktop files from the laptop but I can see them from the laptop. I have been using Dlink router for network. Do you know what the problem in this configuration?

Re: Cannot access Desktop files from laptop in same homegroup

As far as I know the Media streaming occasionally causes issues. So you need to turn off that feature. If this isn’t helped you much then run the windows using safe mode or safe network mode. I hope that you know how to do it. Otherwise you will need to verify the log file or network stats by using the command prompt. Click Start>Run and type “cmd” and hit enter. Now the command prompt will open. Type the following commands:
    Code:
    nbtstat -n
    IPCONFIG /ALL
    Copy all the details what you get from these 2 commands and post it to dlink and I hope that they might know what the problem is.

IT seems to me that you laptop is not in the LAN workgroup. So you need to set it to proper. Go to Start - right click on Computer and choose Properties. There most probably in the Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings parts you necessitate to configure the Workgroup. If the laptop is already in the domain then don’t go for any changes. Make sure that you have configured the Advanced Sharing Options properly.

Make sure that your computer and laptop are in same workgroup as well as in the same Home network. Run the both computers by the use of Administrator password. Try by disabling the firewall. Try by rejoining the homegroup multiple times. Also check the GPO, local policy as well as the other security settings. Is there any Enable or Disable of IPv6? It might be a one concern. Try by using the Wired connection. Go through all these factors which I mentioned here. If nothing helped at all then you might need to Reset the TCP/IP in your laptop and also in Desktop PC.

It seems to me that there are some kinds of errors in your laptop’s operating system. If any of the system related files has been corrupted then you may not be able to access the workgroup or Home group. So run the “SFC /SCANNOW” command in Command prompt and reboot the system. Otherwise use the different username and password for your homegroup using Advanced Sharing settings. I hope that it may gonna help you.