Thread: Internet Connection sharing through the router

Internet Connection sharing through the router

I have two PC my network in which comp1 is operating with Windows Vista Home Premium x64 and comp2 is with Windows XP Professional. I have a Linksys Cisco wrt160nv2 and I want to split the internet by using this router. The comp1and comp2 has following network peripherals:
    • Nvidia Nforce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet = Attached to Cable Modem using cable.
    • Wireless Network USB Adapter 54g WL-608 = Connected to Router by the use of Wi-fi.

The comp2 need to get the internet access from the router which is connected to the wifi but I can’t. However if connect the router directly to the modem the comp1 is getting too slow internet access. Is there any kind of configuration I can do to carry out whatever I seeking for. I hope that my router is enough for ICS.

Re: Internet Connection sharing through the router

I don’t think that making use of ICS is going to recover networking, however here is the formula. You'll be connecting comp1 and the second router by means of Wi-Fi as an alternative of Ethernet, except that formulates no dissimilarity. The "main" router can be a genuine router, a software gateway similar to Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, otherwise a server connection that contains the aptitude to provide further than one IP address by the use of DHCP server facility.

What cant you configure the network in the following manner:
    Modem=== router ===comp1 and comp2 connected individually?
    At this moment from what I am able to observe your course-plotting is off. If your router contains an IP address of 192.168.1.1 on top of the LAN surface, in that case your comp2 will not connect for the reason that it's 'gateway toward the internet' is the router however the router possibly will not recognize which location to set off from there. Except the router distinguishes its gateway (ought to be 192.168.1.101) at that moment it will not succeed. Furthermore containing comp1's wifi adapter among a dynamic IP address (DHCP enabled) at that time you might run into issues if that IP address varies.

As far as I know the configuration which you have mentioned in the query is not possible to get the internet access even if the router is capable for ICS. It is only about the wifi. However you should try it by connecting via Ethernet. Otherwise you can get the internet access directly from the comp1 rather than from the router. Just remove the router from the Comp1 and makes the Comp1 acts as router to share its internet access to the comp2. I think that it might be possible for you.

I have changed your little network combination to somewhat different but it still seems to be the same and the approach is as follows:
    Internet=>Cable Modem==>UTP-Cable==>comp11==>Wifi=>Router<==Wifi<===comp2
    However it didn’t worked for me at all but you can also try this if you want. The another thing is if the above one is not seems to be working then here is another solution:
    • Cable Modem > connected to Router's WAN or Internet Port
    • Comp1 connected to the router moreover Ethernet cable otherwise wifi.
    • Comp2 connected to the router by the use of Ethernet