Thread: Trying to Connect a Vizio router to 2-wire Modem Router

Trying to Connect a Vizio router to 2-wire Modem Router

Well I am thinking to experiment something new with my router. Well I have a 2 wire router modem which is ATT 2701HG-B 2-wire wireless Gateway router. I have recently brought a vizio wireless router. I am thinking of connecting both the router with each other. So that I can get a better range with this modem or the router. So what do you think about this idea? Is it good? I don’t have any idea whether it will be compatible or not. So that’s why I thought I should share this idea with you all. So give your views regarding this particular idea and help me In the connection of the routers and the modem. Do let me know if this method will work with me or not.

re: Trying to Connect a Vizio router to 2-wire Modem Router

Well I would advise you to have a check with the subnet address of the router. If the subnet address of the routers are different then I would advise you to connect the 2- wire router with the WAN port of the new router that you have brought. So that one connection would be having the LAN connection and the other the wan connection. I have no idea whether the bridging idea will really help in this case or not. You can try with the bridging method also and let us know if it is working or not. However you can have a look at this method that i have specified here and get back to me if it works or not.

Well I have got a perfect solution for you do try it and let me know if it works for you. I will start with the primary step. This step is very important so start with it first
    1) Well you have to configure the IP address of both the router such that they should remain in the same subnet but not in the same dhcp connection range. So first you have to make some changes in the IP ADDRESS of the router. Once you have done some changes in the router, then you will have to reboot the system, so that the router takes the new IP address that is assigned.
    2) After having done that you will have to disable the DHCP for the router which you think it is a secondary router. After having done that you will have to setup a wireless connection in both the routers. After that try connecting the LAN port from one router to the other router. If you cannot find any appropriate router then I would advise you to use any cross over cable.
    3) Having done that you will have to leave the WAN port totally unconnected.
    So I hope you have got the appropriate solution here. Do let me know if this particular solution works or not.

Hey thanks for the appropriate solution .well let me admit that I have understood your solution in bits and pieces. Well I need to tell that I have a one router which is having the IP address of 192.168.1.1 while the other one is 192.168.1.254. I know you have asked to make it in the subnet but in different DHCP server. So how can I change my IP address of the router? I have zero knowledge regarding the subject of changing the IP address. So it would be very helpful if you could provide me more information on this subject. So do reply as early as possible. I am waiting for your responses.

Re: Trying to Connect a Vizio router to 2-wire Modem Router

Well if you see your IP address, 192.168.1.*** both are using the same subnet try changing it to the different subnet like 192.168.3.*. coming back to your query regarding the changing the ip address of the router. Well what you have to do is go to the router section and go to the LAN section. In the LAN section different ip address for the different routers will be displayed. You will have to change it accordingly. Well basically you have to change the last three digits of the IP address. So do have a look at the solutions and do the necessary changes. I hope you have cleared out your confusions.