Thread: Laptop connects to wireless router but no access to the internet

Laptop connects to wireless router but no access to the internet

My Laptop connects to wireless router but no access to the internet on it. I have the router which is connected to my Desktop stationed near it by ethernet. The laptop which i use to connect to the router is via wireless network connection. My laptop detects and connects to the wireless network, but cant get internet to connect. What might be the issue? Please help!

Re: Laptop connects to wireless router but no access to the internet

Try to connect to the router again after turning off security. That is try to remove the password and let the network be open network. If that works, again put the password and then try again. If again it doesn't work, try different security options like switching it from WEP to WPA or WPA2. See if that helps. If even the open network doesn't let you connect to the internet, check if you have the dns configured properly. try to ping any domain like google.com from command prompt and see if you get any replies to the pings. If there is no ping replies that means the issue is with the dns. Also try setting up static IP on your laptop and router and turn off dhcp. Check if you get through with this or not.

I already have set static ip on the router, laptop and my desktop. I dont think its the dns issue as the internet works perfectly well on the desktop. Also i have tried turning the passphrase of but that doesn't help. I am not sure what else can be the issue. Can you give me an example of what ip should i use on the laptop and desktop machines? My router's details are as follows :
    ip address : 192.168.1.1
    subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
    gateway : 192.168.1.1
    dns : 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4
    On my PC i'm using :
    ip : 192.168.1.2
    subnet : 255.255.255.0
    gateway : 192.168.1.1
    dns : 192.168.1.1

What do i use on my laptop? My current settings are same as desktop but just the ip is 192.168.1.3. Anything wrong with my configuration?

Your configurations seems to be correct. Try to ping your desktop computer from your laptop and vice versa. See if you get a reply. Also try pinging the router from the laptop. There might be wireless connectivity issues. Also try changing the DNS on both desktop and laptop to the one specified in the router. That is use primary and secondary dns on both computer and laptop to : 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
    If this works you're good to go, else do post back. I think the wireless network sticks while resolving the dns as it requests the router on the gateway, the dns address is of the router too, so on a wireless network this might take a long while. Anyways try these steps and do post back.