Thread: Other laptop can't connect to wireless network

Other laptop can't connect to wireless network

I have a problem and hope you can could help me out. I have a wireless router which is my only way to network my setup and connect to the internet. I have a PSP, Desktop computer and 2 Laptops which needs to be connected to the router. One laptop, desktop and PSP connects to the wireless router just fine. This other laptop doesn't connect. It detects the wireless network, but on connecting it, it doesn't. I don't know what the problem is. No matter what i do, it wont let me connect to the wireless network. Can anyone advice me on what i should try?

Re: Other laptop can't connect to wireless network

Well, first of all, i would like you to specify the laptop brand and router brand. Do you get any option to specify the network key or passphrase? Your router might reject the laptop due to not entering the password or entering the invalid password. Is it happening from the start or suddenly you started getting this connectivity issue? I think you might need to have a look at the dhcp settings of the router as well... Have you enabled filtering on your router? Also check if the drivers dont have any issues, you can always update your wireless drivers from the manufacturer's website. Do specify the details of all the device involved in this setup [the one which you think might be at a problem]. Only then someone can come up with any conclusion.

I have this MSI CR420 laptop which is at problem. I brought this laptop a week ago and since the day 1 i am facing the problem. I dont know whats wrong. I am using a netgear wireless router. Also i have noted that this Windows 7 laptop conencts to other wireless networks but doesn't connect to my home router. I have no idea about filtering as i did not make any changes on the the router and it works if i use some other wireless device like some other laptop. Only this MSI laptop doesn't connect that too on my router only. How is it happening that all wireless devices connects to my router but my laptop doesn't also that this same laptop connects to other wireless networks but just doesn't connect to my home network. I've become numb. Please help guys...

Which antivirus do you use? This might sometimes cause problems. But if this would have been the case, then it shouldn't connect to any wireless networks. Also check if you have dhcp enabled on your router, let the wireless network card settings to obtain ip address automatically. Just make sure you have not specified any ip on your laptop. Also as suggested before, try updating the wireless network card drivers. This might also be one of the cause. But its a strange problem. Have you changed any other settings which is related to lan card or wifi card? Also try plugging in a cable and see if your laptop connects to the router with wired network. I guess the problem lies in your laptop itself, but then it shouldn't connect to any other wireless network too, which rules out this issue as well...

idea Re: Other laptop can't connect to wireless network

Ok, lately I been seen this issue more frequent and have not find any answer for it.
    What I know is there is different wireless bands like B,G,N which N is the newest is on every new wireless product ( router or Device adapter).
    New Routers any brand are focusing on N band wireless but they states that are compatible with olders wireless devices like B,G.

now there is where the problem is. if the first wireless device connects to the router and is N wireless adapter the router will focus on wireless N capable devices only and will not accept connections from olders adapters, and if the older adapter does not have the capabilities to handle N signals.

Like I said before I'm comfused and there is a theory only, can someone confirm this or have a better explanation why this is happening?.

Thank you.

Yes the issue is related to wifi compatibility. Wifi standard N is the most recent standard which provides better speed and security. But the new router comes with a legacy mode which offers connection with older devices. It works but with lots of errors. You can try configuring the same. By default many new routers are set on legacy mode to accept connection from older wifi standards.