Thread: Laptop not connecting to router

Laptop not connecting to router

I state that are far from expert but even I do not know what a router, what it does, IP etc.. I have a Netgear DG384GT which are connected via cable to a desktop computer and recently a laptop via wifi, the first with Windows XP and the second with Windows 7. Never had any problems neither with each other, even I was able to configure everything well and did not give me internet problems at all (video, web browsing and so on., Perfect line). Today the laptop (a desktop computer and router off course on working with wifi), I continued to do the buffering of videos I was seeing on the web. I went for IPCONFIG and instead of the usual screen I've ever seen on the disk:
    ethernet local area network (LAN):
    Connection-specific DNS suffix:
    IP Address: 192.168.0.3
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    I thought that the router assigns an IP address, etc. 1-2-3. in order of connection. What else can be done? Please try out some way to resolve my issue.

Re: Laptop not connecting to router

What you see with the command ipconfig in windows 7 is perfectly normal. Really... I didn't get any issue from your point. I actually was not able to understand your exact problem. So please evaluate your problem and then it can be resolved by us. I think that you are not getting connected to an internet. Or the browser is always buffering old pages? Mention all these things so that we can make some effort to help you.

Hello and thank you for your reply. The problem is that sometimes, on certain evenings, when I watch a video on the notebook gives me a constant buffering, and in my ignorance I thought it was due to the wifi signal that was not well detected by the notebook. Instead the two pictures that I put the link here say it's normal? Normally very well see a movie on your notebook without interruptions, delays and continuous loading of the same. I would understand if it is due to temporary delays in some evenings the line, or if it depends on some problems receiving the card 802.11 b / g laptop. The router is a room beyond the doors open, will be 6 feet, and there are other devices that may interfere, I think, apart from four other nearby wifi networks to all protected. In the settings for the wireless channel is 11, g and b mode, WPA-PSK. Hope that I have provided all needful information.

The problem you mention might occur, but certainly did not depend 6 meters distance irrelevant. Would depend on the frequency channel, however, that is disturbed by the other routers in the vicinity. From personal experience I prefer to avoid channels 11-12-13. I usually choose the 6. But attempts to proceed. But it could also depend on your broadband service or the server from which you are viewing the film. To exclude this condition when the problem occurs just at the moment you connect to the router with a cable. If the situation is the same as ADSL or fault of the site you're visiting.

Yes, the lines may disturb the neighbors but for some reason I do not know that channel 6 is the one that is less affected by noise. I happen to move to another channel 3-4 times a year to interference problems. But those problems are more likely to 11-12-13 as I said above all with wireless cards is not very recent. All empirical, only personal experience I want to clarify. What you have is a modem + router and even if the device is one, are two distinct and separate entities. The management of the modem is what you see in the ADSL port, the parameters of this management data are automatically communicated to the customer or the ISP when the ADSL contract. Basically you, to manage your internal network, not relevant and not edit it or act on them in any way, otherwise non-functioning of ADSL. Technically you're talking about a WAN.

The ADSL line working is passed from the modem to router to your internal network (LAN technically), becomes the "gateway" that is, if you distribute internet to PCs connected to the router itself. Any PC with the click your network card its gateway. And it does so in two ways, ie dhcp automatically if the active router has the function of DHCP server or manually. It is you who decides on the PC with "Obtain IP Address automatically". Normally the DHCP assigns the first free interval ip ip assigned to the DHCP server in the router. In your case I read from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254. But usually ... but keep in mind that it is a machine and not even as smart and works only with simple networks like yours. The benefits of DHCP are that even those who do not understand a networks, it connects and works. The disadvantages are that if you have devices that require precise fixed IP, DHCP would not assign the right ip.