Thread: Resetting corrupted Winsock2 on Windows 7

Resetting corrupted Winsock2 on Windows 7

I am using Windows 7 from past 4 months. Few days before a virus ran in to my computer which corrupted the Winsock2. Well in the previous I was able to delete Windsock from the computer using registry, rebooting or reinstalling from the inf folder. However above mentioned things are not possible on Windows 7. Is there any way which can be use to determine whether Winsock2 is corrupted or not and also I want to know how can I fix corrupted WinSock2. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated in this particular situation. Thanks in advance.

Re: Resetting corrupted Winsock2 on Windows 7

You can use Netdiag tool to determine whether Winnsock2 is corrupted or not. Well you have to install Microsoft Windows XP support tools on your computer. You have to out Windows XP CD on the CD drive and double click on Setup.exe . You have to navigate to the Select An Installation Type window and click on Complete and you have to click on Next. Once the installation gets completed use the following steps. You have to launch the command prompt. Now you have to copy paste following code on the command prompt and press enter.
    Code:
    netdiag /test:winsock
    It will display all information regarding all the network component including Winsock2.

If you don’t have Windows XP CD then you can use the following instruction to discover whether Winsock2 is corrupted or not. You have to click on the Start menu and go to Run and enter Msinfo32 click on Ok. Now choose Components and click on Network to expand and now go to protocol.
    • MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP]
    • MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP]
    • RSVP UDP Service Provider
    • RSVP TCP Service Provider
    • MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip...
    It will produce above mentioned list on the command prompt if there is anything different form the above mentioned list then it means that Winscok2 is corrupted on your computer.

I am having a particular solution to fix the corruption Winsock2 on your computer. Well you have to download Fix it from the official website of the Microsoft. Once you have downloaded the software you have to install the same on your computer and follow the steps provided by the Fix it wizard. It also helps to automatically resetting of the Winsock settings. I am hoping that Winsock2 will help you to solve the matter of yours.

Well looking at your problem which you have provided I am having registry solution to remove the corrupted Winsock2 from your computer. You have to click on the Start menu and go to Run where you have to enter regedit and click OK. You have to locate the following registry on your system.
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
    Now you should right click on the both registry key and choose Delete from the context menu. You have to click on Yes if it is request to confirm the deletion of the registry.Now you have to reboot your computer after deleting the registry.