Thread: Site-to-Site VPN Tunnel

Site-to-Site VPN Tunnel

I have a server in which running windows 2003 server with several unused IP addresses. I would like to create a VPN tunnel between these two locations so that the servers at the other location can have access to the additional IP addresses. I can change the OS on the Dellas server if needed, but I cannot place VPN hardware, the VPN must be software based through windows or Linux. I have other services running on this box and prefer to keep windows on it. So this is what I want to do. Anyone have any experience how can I do this?

Re: Site-to-Site VPN Tunnel

Your information is somewhat mistaken in that any VPN tunnel you have goes via the internet (except you have a corporal point-to-point cable), but yes, obtains the point across. That being said, what you wish to do is 'technically' probable, but occupies advanced routing and additional than likely a few edition of ISA server, or getting into virtual machines with pfSense setup and once more, advanced routing. All that said, it is clearly too late for me to believe. TLDR version: It is probable, but possibly more multifaceted effort than you are trading for.

Here I just want to say that, I have completed this quite frequently by front ending every of the sites with a Cisco device and making the tunnel that method. That being said: it perhaps possible if you are able to frontend every of the servers with a bit like pfSense and generate the tunnel that way, although that expands beyond the extent of my knowledge.

Windows Server can inhabitant setup an IPSec tunnel, so this fraction is achievable. On the other hand, it is been a moment since I have setup an IPSec tunnel with Windows Server, so I won’t give direction on how to perform this. That said, when probable, Windows Server would not be my primary option for VPN tunnel endpoints. Furthermore, if you preparation to readdress the public IPs allocated to the other server to the VMs in Florida, you will probable this hard or not possible to do with Windows alone.

The VPN tunnel is the simple part, the somewhat tough fraction is readdressing the public IPs in Texas to the private addresses of the VMs in Florida. When I could possibly do with OpenBSD, well, since pfSense utilizes the PF which is in OpenBSD, I visualize pfSense could be configured to perform this also. As for the precise steps, necessary to do this, possibly somebody else will ring in.