Thread: Optimal Wired and Wireless Setup

Optimal Wired and Wireless Setup

Is it improved to utilize a break up router for wired and one more just as an access point vs. containing single router handling both wired and wireless functions? Reading through the forums, it appears the compromise is that containing things like wireless, QoS, VPN facilitated on a router slows down the LAN or WAN speeds? Please someone help me t solve this. Because I searched at many place but still helpless.

Re: Optimal Wired and Wireless Setup

LAN to LAN contact and LAN to WI-FI communication functions solely in the switch constituent of the majority Small office/home office or customer routers, and the speed thereof is sovereign of the routing ability of the router. LAN to WAN and WI-FI to WAN communications are steering utilities and the speed thereof is straight correlated to the CPU ability of the router, and will be crashed by any action which puts additional load on the CPU, for example VPN, firewall rules, QoS, WPA, and so on. The degree to which these additional things are an aspect is truly the root of your query, and the respond will differ by action and router. I can tell you my knowledge with Tomato firmware on an ASUS is that WAN to LAN and WAN to WI-FI moves take place around 30 mbps with QoS and WPA2 enabled. Since every of my QoS processing takes place on outbound links, most probably QoS would have a better collision on LAN to WAN speed, but as I just have 2 mbps of upload speed while connected with that router, I have not had the chance to truly analysis throughput in that way. I have not experienced VPN throughput with this router, but remain guaranteed that it will be considerably abridged contrasted to non-encrypted throughput. So the short answer is that no, depends on my incomplete knowledge I do not suppose that you would observe significant performance gains by unraveling your wireless and wired customers to divide routers, except your router is mainly faulty in the primary position.

Very exhaustive and accurately what I was appearing to reply. Reading how few of you guys are utilizing a devoted computers with NIC cards with something like pfSense in place of customer grade routers. I just choose the more touted and suggested Netgear WNDR3700. Completely disenchanted. The speeds is fine, however, the executive interface suffers like a test, in relative to something like DD WRT. How is this transient as a completed product? Lots of slight things to intricate here, however, I would like some fuss on how to utilize a computer as a devoted router or firewall. I do not have an old computer deceitful around but if I can get a few instructions, what is finest to purchase, NIC card types, software wanted, and so on, I am eager to put in the time.

I have utilized m0n0wall in the earlier period and I am presently utilizing pfSense. They are not awfully hard to setup, but they do need x86 hardware. For below 9000 INR you can get an ALIX board with a case, power supply and a CF card to setup the firmware to. This will utilize below 15 W of power. For same outlay you can obtain an atom supported mini-ITX motherboard with a discounted case and a fix of RAM. Throw any hard drive in there and setup away. M0n0wall and the pfSense entrenched edition are setup to your CF, USB, or hard drive by putting them in a different PC and utilizing an imaging program to shift the firmware picture to your boot media. Physdiskwrite can do this in Windows and is installable from m0n0.ch wall.

The inclusive version of pfSense can be setup by burning an iOS to a CD or DVD after that booting from it. You can sprint the installer from there to place it on your boot disk. As an option to the CD, there is as well a USB picture which can be written to a USB stick. Boot from the USB stick, and after that utilize the installer to perform a full install on your hard disk. The m0n0 and pfSense and mailing catalogs are an immense resource. And too bad concerning the WNDR. I have not at all utilized one, but Tomato is a vast platform on the cheaper WNR3500.