Thread: How to properly setup ps3 media server and network drive

How to properly setup ps3 media server and network drive

I have got a new Playstation 3 gaming console with me. I have noticed that this console comes with the option to pull data out of your wirelss home network so that it can stream it. So, can anyone tell me which method should I use to do this? If you know about some more multiple options or anything else then please let me know about it. I want to setup in every possible way there is suppose to be. Thank you

Re: How to properly setup ps3 media server and network drive

The best step would be to install any media server software on one of your laptops or computers, you can easily get that from the ps3mediaserver website, as an example. Or else you can even set the media server to check in the directories with the media that you want to be available. Better you should browse the media server on your Playstation 3 under video, music or pictures on the main system menu. Another possible way would be to format upto a 32gb FAT32 external usb drive and put the media on it.

Re: How to properly setup ps3 media server and network drive

The main issue is that there are not really a lot of ways and you will not be able to simply access media over the network without serving it by any means. As far as I know the Playstation 3 doesnt have any Samba-like protocol for browsing the networked computers. However, if you have checked under the video or music menu options then you will find an option to search for media servers and this seems to be the only solution created by Sony.

If you have Windows 7 32bit or even 64bit then Playstation 3 Media Server works great on this operating system. I am also using it on my Windows 7 pc. Just try to use the build in Windows Media player media server capabilities incase you do not want to install any extra software. If you are looking to install a media server with another one already then it is of no use, but the PS3 Media Server transcribes any media format into one that the PS3 will be able to read.