Thread: XP and Windows 7 Wireless network not working

XP and Windows 7 Wireless network not working

Hi all, here's the problem I have, I have 3 computers and 1 printer setup on a wireless network, PC1 is a Xp SP3 desktop connected directly to the wireless router which is a Cisco Valet, the printer is connected to PC1, PC2 is Windows 7 64 bit a desktop and PC3 is Xp SP3 a laptop, All needed files and printer come from PC1, ...PC2 and PC3 keep losing access to PC1, yet all 3 can connect to the internet, I can get all 3 to communicate with each other but when I start them up again the next morning PC2 and PC3 will do not have access to PC1, I have shut down all 3 machines during the day to try and recreate the problem, but it only happens when they have been off all night and I start them up in the morning, I have diabled the Norton firewall on PC1 yet problem still occurs, I disabled firewall on all 3 machines, yet problem still occurs, I disabled homenetworking services in Windows 7, problem still occurs...I am stumped, any help is appreciated, thanks ...

Re: XP and Windows 7 Wireless network not working

Have you tried setting up Homegroup for networking in Windows 7? Homegroup only works with Windows 7 computers and will not talk to your XP computer. If so, you will need to change the networking system to one that XP can use. So, in your windows 7 pc, you have to click on the Start buttonand then go to the control panel and choose Network and Sharing Center. Click the link under "view your active networks" (if you've set up a Homegroup,the link should say "home network"). After that, when the next windows comes, choose "Work network" that will switch you from a homegroup to a workgroup so your two computers can talk to each other. Before you can network the computers, you must assign the same workgroup name to both of them and SHARE folders in Explorer.

You can also refer to similar type of threads made here - Windows 7 wireless does not recognize Windows XP on network
    Cannot Network Windows 7 with Windows XP

Re: XP and Windows 7 Wireless network not working

..Big Fish, thanks for replying, I have tried your solution, the thing is I can fix the problem and the network is fine for the day, they power down 3 machines at the end of business day and the next morning PC2 and PC3 cannot access PC1, I have a feeling it may have something to do with the Cisco router, will be looking at that today , thanks...