Thread: Save energy with virtualization

Save energy with virtualization

I'm currently a TS01 with a 600 watt power supply and a SQL01 with a 400 watt power supply. The load is safe at 90%, so I burned up about 8,000 kWh per year. Since the two servers went into operation in December 2009 and I play a very large tax advisor software must be allowed to / I need a new concept:
    • 1 new SQL - software locally uploaded with 5 x clients (existing)
    • a new SQL + 1 new TS
    • 1 and SQL Server, TS and COM server virtualization

My question to you: my idea is correct, that the virtualized servers is the most cost-effective way? Only a server, a power consumer?

Re: Save energy with virtualization

Sure you could pack everything on a monster machine and virtualizes as all server, only count once the following points for you:

• Performance you need in the sum
    • Purchase price + other parts
    • Costs incurred when these computers will fail

Although I'll be back will be beaten, because I write this we have virtualized ALL. But if it is for reliability, backup is provided so why not. Whether that now has become more energy efficient hmm, we have I think. But I do not make use of 3 servers at a time. Think the degree of power savings increases with the number of servers. Whether this is also equivalent to a cost savings for the expenses associated think it might have been at another story.

OK, the redundancy is in fact an issue, and if the box is, I can send the employees home. However, this would then say yes even more for the client version (software on the AP). At least if I do not want to buy a second DS. As for power consumption: what do the new, current server so to Watt? So regarding this if you have any idea then please suggest me as soon as you can.

It depends on the equipment of the server then what the UPS or else that it is cooling design, etc. all must be included. However, in small environments as you can in the current grade does not save much. Large data centers are there to make the drum thoughts. If there is closer to a new purchase on redundancy and quality of a major manufacturer shall supply the spare parts which can provide fast and has good warranties. If I am right then you want 2 server virtualization? A TS and a SQL Server?

First recommend Datev 2 terminal servers so that one has certain flexibility. Ok, but what fails when the data server? Then I use also 100 redundant program installations (whether or Terminal Server Client) does nothing. I've now made several servers on one physical hardware, and I find out the hardware are of course all the servers. But even if they do contain the data server. Therefore, in the area of virtualization, always take care that the hardware is designed Redundant and less error-prone. And of course there is a good warranty contract.

For the installation, a current (trade) server with 15k drives and 48GB RAM. He has then usually 2 or 2 * 600 * 800 watt power supplies, and our servers we have out there in this Config Pull out as 200-300 watts during normal operation (at night the way in securing more). It is the practice on such a hardware virtualized by ESX, protected by a UPS with network connection also keeps the managed switched to live on. Cost for the hardware, depending on the amount of data without a backup.