Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to disable SSH and ipv6?

Networking & Security

Old 10-01-2011

How to disable SSH and ipv6?

Hi I have searched around but have not make out how to disable SSH and ipv6. Usually, would you make use of "/etc->init.d->service stop" to end it and take away from startup? I tried several scripting I establish in a forum however does not appear to be functioning. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Your suggestion would be apprecated!

Old 10-01-2011

Re: How to disable SSH and ipv6?

Well can I know why you need to do this?IPv6 is by default disabled by the network manager, I do not believe there is an related service by means of it. As for Secure Shell or SSH, except if you have purposely installed an Secure Shell or SSH server for example openSSH after that your PC just has the client ability (can connect to a new PC with an Secure Shell or SSH server running furthermore no-one be able to connect to yours) If you have install openSSH or else similar, the command to stop it is:
sudo /etc/init.d/ssh stop
Old 10-01-2011

Thanks for your valuable suggestion, I had read that Secure Shell or SSH was a security risk, however you have cleared that up. I was as well asking more usually "how can one end a particular service," similar to telnet, Samba, and so on. Keep in mind, I do not have too much idea and coming from a Windows mindset, although I have loaded up on tutorials .The information you have is helpful and I thank you. I do not make out what is on by default, as a result this sort of dialogue assist. Thanks once more.
Old 10-01-2011

You be able to stop a module from being inserted into the kernel by whichever blacklisting it or else by totally disabling it. In this situation, as you will most possibly turn off the IPv6 firewall also, it is greatly suggested to totally disable the ipv6 module, on the way to avoid any unintended loading of the IPv6 heap not including any firewall protection at the same instant.
Old 10-01-2011

To totally disable IPv6 in your device, all you have to accomplish is save the following line in a file within etc->modprobe ?install ipv6 /bin/true?. The above line states: at any time the system requires to load the ipv6 kernel module, it is required to perform the command true as an alternative of in reality loading the module. Because /bin/true does completely not anything, the module by no means gets loaded.Once more, it is necessary to reboot so that the changes you have done is saved.This is the suggested method to disable IPv6.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , , , ,