Thread: Linux Mint 7 Gloria: Ethernet suddenly broken

Linux Mint 7 Gloria: Ethernet suddenly broken

About 4 months before, I setup Linux Mint 7 on my Dell D600 Laptop. The whole thing worked great from the very start. Internet access goes usually through ADSL cable connection; an IP address is specified from my router through DHCP. Moreover, I could even create WLAN effort with the windows driver downloaded from Dell. Day before Yesterday, later than not having utilized the laptop for 4 weeks because of a break, the cable Ethernet connection did not effort any longer. In difference, WLAN still works. Errors on the hardware can certainly be barred, because while I boot Linux Mint 7 from CD on the similar laptop, the cable network connection is functioning excellent again. Neither are there any errors on the hard drive, I scanned it and it is well. So here, my Question is:

1. How is it probable that Linux Mint 7 abruptly looses the cable network settings?
    2. What must I perform to reinstate my cable network line?

Re: Linux Mint 7 Gloria: Ethernet suddenly broken

As you ask: How is it probable that Linux Mint 7 abruptly looses the cable network settings? How I would akin to know that. This is something that rarely occurs to all OS and it is all the time confusing, and sometimes no clarification or way out is established. I am talking from knowledge not just with Linux Mint but as well Windows XP. It appears additional confusing particularly as the PC was twisted off for a extended time. To get a initial point run lspci -vvnn and place the part for Ethernet.

Indeed, while annoying to discover a not so far utilized username, it is extremely useful if you are as well fan of less mainstream classical music that is other composers beyond Bach, Mozart, and so on. Here is the Ethernet part of lspci -vvnn:

Code:
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5702X Gigabit Ethernet [15e5:15a5] 
    Subsystem: Device [0055:8200]
    Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Status: Cap+ 67MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Latency: 65, Cache Line Size: 33 bytes
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
    Region 0: Memory at faff0000 
    Capabilities: [50] PCI-X non-bridge device
    Command: DPERE- ERO- RBC=512 OST=1
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
    Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
    Capabilities: [48] Vital Product Data <?>
    Capabilities: [55] Message Signaled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/3 Enable-
    Address: 0c80008804060018 Data: 0000
    Kernel driver in use: ndiswrapper
    Kernel modules: tg3
    Does this provide you any idea what could be mistaken with my Ethernet connection?

NDISwrapper is a covering for the Windows WI-FI drivers, but it can be utilized for every network drivers I believe. Have you setup Windows drivers for your system? The WI-FI and Ethernet? You could attempt Stop networking; I generally do that from the NM applet.

Code:
    sudo rmmod ndiswrapper

sudo modprobe tg3
    Regenerate networking. Excellent chance Ethernet works now but WI-FI won’t effort. To get WI-FI back stop networking.

Code:
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    Regenerate networking. Possibly you have both WI-FI and Ethernet at present. While the outcome is known I can with any luck provide you a permanent way out.

Unluckily the specified suggestions didn't work. For additional examination, I booted the laptop from the Linux Mint 7 live CD, where the Ethernet works excellent. After that, I contrasted the settings in file /etc/network/interfaces and in file /etc/resolv.conf of the exits system on the single hand with the own files on my hard drive from the setup system on the other hand. Result: They were both the same. However while an ipconfig in the live system scheduled eth0 as a lively interface; the similar was not factual for the installed system. There, the eth0 entry was misplaced. A regenerate of the network on the installed system with /etc/init.d/network restart did not alter anything. While entering on the installed system dhclient for a regeneration of the IP address, it gave an error message: Device eth0 does not be present. So I must think that the driver for my Ethernet card is not loaded while the installed structure boots. Certainly, modprobes did not show the tg3 module, which is the required driver for the Ethernet card in my Dell D600.