Thread: Windows cannot set up a homegroup

Windows cannot set up a homegroup

I was setting up a homegroup on my 2 computers but it failed to establish and gives me the error message that says “Cannot setup the a homegroup on my computer”. My laptop handle to generate a homegroup and I obtain the password for it. But when I attempt to connect homegroup on my additional computer then I got this message with Error code 0x80630801. I have also attempted to make the homegroup from other computer but it alos gives me the same error message when I click the create button. Please tell be that what can be the reason for this and how can I solve this problem.

Re: Windows cannot set up a homegroup

I recommend you to the following to solve this problem. I am not sure that this is going to solve your problem for sure but it is also not a bad idea to try this. To do that, first you have to boot your computer in safe mode with networking and then follow the steps to connect to home group
    First of all reboot your computer .
    Now start pressing the F8 key.
    From the advance boot option, select “Safe mode with networking”.
    Now try to build the homegroup and this should not show you the problem again.

Click here to get more information on this.

I think that there is something wrong with TCP/IP settings and you need to modify the TCP/IP settings. Click on the link below to get the instructions that how can you change the TCP/IP settings. I did the same when I was getting the same message and this solves the problem for me. So I am quite sure about this that this will do the same thing for you also. Good Luck!!!

Click here to get detail about changing the TCP/IP settings.

Have you installed any third party anti-virus program in your system? If that is the case then I would like to tell you that this can also be the reason behind the issues like this. What you need to do is, just disable the anti-virus program for some time and see if that is allowing you to join the workgroup. If that allows you to connect to workgroup then you have to uninstall and reinstall the software again. I wish that that this will solve the problem for your workgroup.

I have also faced the similar problem earlier and was not able to solve the issue. I tried many things but all of that was just waste of time for me. One day I opened the control panel from my computer and left the Homegroup to which I connected by mistake. After that when I tried to connect to the HomeGroup once more then it gets connected without any problem and now it is working fine for me. So should also check for that.

I was trying to resolve the problem from the long time with the Windows 7 RTM but not able to fix the issue. I tried to reinstall that many times but that also did not help me. After that I deleted idstore.sst*which is there under windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking and after doing this problem resolved for me. This was the suggestion from one of my friends. I don’t know the logic behind this fix but it works for me. So you should also try this if you want.