A Dedicated Proxy is a efficacy that traffic among the requesting client and the target system provides the. It concentrates in the communications protocol that the service exercises, and can therefore scrutinize the communication and compromise needed their content. In addition, it is able to send its own requests to the communication partner and sometimes to act as temporary storage (ie on its own to respond to a request without having to request it again from the genuine target system). Sometimes it is locally installed on the source or target system, in order to implement the appropriate task on site. In contrast, it may be also an actively engaging communication module filters act in the proxy firewall is placed on a. Among other proxies are as dedicated (such as SMTP -) or virus scanner (such as FTP -) Connection and Command filters are applied.
On a single device, multiple dedicated proxies in parallel, different protocols to be able to operate. Then it must look into the packets, performs a dedicated proxy its work on the OSI layer 7. Often Dedicated proxies for following protocols used:
- HTTP / HTTPS
- SSL termination - An HTTPS connection) may be terminated Web proxy broken (by means to verify its contents to pests as well. The additional encryption to the client (browser) is then provided with a certificate from the proxy. Problem is that the user of the browser no longer the original certificate of the Web server gets to see and the proxy server must trust that it has taken a validation of the web server certificate.
- Cache - The proxy can store asked questions and their results. If the same question asked again, this may be the answer from memory without installing the Web server to ask. The proxy ensures that the information supplied by it are too old. A complete date is not guaranteed by the rule. By caching queries can be answered more quickly and there is also the network load reduces. For example, one company provides such a proxy all traffic to the computers of the employees with the Internet.
- SMTP - Some firewalls provide an SMTP proxy that monitors the email traffic between the Internet and mail server and filters out certain dangerous or undesirable commands. The design of the SMTP Protocol, each SMTP server can also be used as an SMTP proxy.
- IMAP Proxy - Holt, for example, automatically e-mails from the central IMAP server on a local machine from which the clients then pick up the e-mail.
- IRC Proxy - Such proxy gives IRC connections and can maintain it, even if the client is disconnected.