Thread: Where can I get free encryption tools

Where can I get free encryption tools

I am looking for some open source encryption tool. Today security is a major concern even on open source operating system like Linux. I am using a similar system on my private server and now I wanted my encrypt my data. There are different things which I want to try here. Like encrypting my network, hard drive, etc. I know there are software which can provide me such support. They can give a encrypted file system to use. But I would like to know how safe is it and what are the different software used for it. I want only open source tools. Commercial products are not in my list. It is also right to say that this software might work with other operating system also. Which one do you recommend.

Re: Where can I get free encryption tools

The best one to use is TrueCrypt. First of all it is pen source and second it works on other operating system also. The file in this is mounted as a virtual disk or an existing hard drive. The software is designed to give you maximum security and data are encrypted on the fly when they are stored. The data is encrypted by the ways of algorithm that is not easy to tackle. Note that the encrypted volume can also be hidden. The creation of a volume is done through a clear wizard. So your work becomes much easier and the same is not easy to crack fast. The new version also comes with hardware acceleration for encryption and decryption of AES algorithm. It is simply enabled by default and work with most of the operating systems.

Truecrput is a famous tool for encryption. In this the volume can be mounted directly and you can provide proper password. This works both for Linux and Windows. Even after encryption it is be possible to create partitions and storage devices encrypted on the hard disks have sectors for 4096, 2048 or 1024 bytes. If you had used this then there is one more open source tool called as Mcrypt. Mcrypt replaces the command of Linux crypt. It allows for a wide choice of encryption algorithm. Mcrypt to encrypt files but also data streams easily. The algorithms are supported: Rijndael, Blowfish, Triple DES, CAST, IDEA, etc. This is another solution for free powerful software for security your data from others.

Sometime ago on my laptop I had used Gpg4win. It is a free tool. It is not a single tool but it is a set of software used for encryption and for signature. I is for Windows platform. I had not used this anytime of Linux. It notably includes GnuPG WinPT. This is akey manager for GnuPG. You will also get a GPGee which is a plugin for Microsoft Explorer and GPGol which is a plugin Microsoft Outlook 2003. If in future you planned to use a dual boot system then there is a tool that can help you to work on Windows also. It is WinPT. It gives you a graphical tools to facilitate GnuPG file encryption and key management.

There are ample of encryption tool that you can use on your system. They work smoothly and they encrypt your data so that nobody can get a easy access on that. Like FreeOTFE. It is a full disk encryption software. You can create one or more virtual disks on your computer all that is written on these disks is automatically encrypted before being stored on the hard drive of your computer. Or else you can try CrossCrypt. In this it is possible to create a virtual encrypted disk and even a encrypted cd-rom. You can work on command line interface on this tool. One tool for the same thing I want to suggest is Dm-crypt. It is a crypto API in Linux which is found in kernel 2.6. t creates a new device in / dev as intermediary to encrypt and decrypt data on the hard drive. Dm-crypt uses the default AES algorithm.

If you are working on web or network then a better thing which you can try is OpenVPN. OpenVPN is a virtual private network. There is a ready to use wizard which generates all the procedure and you just need to follow the steps. There are two different modes of operation in the VPN system proposed. The first is routed and the second is bridged. In the Bridged you can create a bridge between two Ethernet networks. VPN and LAN interfaces are then linked together into a single entity and enable communication between the subnets involved. It is an advance encryption tool for network.