Thread: Connection establishment and termination in TCP/IP protocol

Connection establishment and termination in TCP/IP protocol

Hello my friends , I just went through your forums about 2 hours ago and I really was impressed with your forum and the queries being answered , so I too wanted to post a networking related query , but first I checked whether your forum answers to those , and I was glad to find those type of queries , my question is that in the TCP/IP protocol establishes and terminates the connection ? I am waitng for you people's response .

Re: Connection establishment and termination in TCP/IP protocol

It seems that you are a student , before you go for the connection establishment it is necessary for you to learn some basic things about this protocol, TCP/IP is reliable and stateful protocol i.e it gives you the full guarantee that the packet you are about to send will reach the intended recipient. Then comes your part, it is a stateful packet that means before sending any packet it establishes a connection between the sender and the receiver before the transaction processes.

The TCP/IP three-way handshake in (also known as the three message handshake) is the technique used to set up TCP socket associations and split down TCP socket associations over the set-up. TCP/IP 's three way handshaking method is also known as the 3-way handshake or it is also sometime called as "SYN-SYN-ACK" or more precisely SYN, SYN-ACK, ACK. As said above it is done so that the sender and the receiver can transact among each other.

The TCP handshaking technique is intended so that two host systems trying to interact can discuss the restrictions and constraints of the network TCP socket link before commencing the communication. This three way handshaking procedure is also intended so that both ends can begin and discuss different TCP socket connections at the similar time. This also allows the multiplexing .

In the this three way technique the sender sends and SYN request to the receiver, in the reply the receiver replies with the acknowledgement along with the SYN being sent by the sender in the form of SYN+ACK, in the reply the sender sends it the ACK back to the recipient acknowledging that the receiver is ready to communicate and receive the packets and thus the connection is established , the connection termination is done using 4 way handshaking.