Thread: How is packet fragmented in TCP/IP protocol

How is packet fragmented in TCP/IP protocol

I am a networking student ,although I am an IT student , I do not have much interest in the programming and I was wanted to learn a bit about the the protocols being used in the sending and receiving of data , right now I am most concerned with the TCP and IP protocols , since we do not have much use of the UDP . So my question is how and why is the fragmentation required in this protocol , does not it affect the packet and its content. I am waiting for your response .

Re: How is packet fragmented in TCP/IP protocol

Like you I am too an IT student I too do not have much interest in programming and all that stuffs , so I too have opted networking rather than going for the coding, you asked about the packet fragmentation , in this process the packet is divided into several parts before it is being transferred . The fragmentation is done at the receiver's end and then the packet is de fragmented and again assembled as a whole packet at the receiver's end. This is mostly done in almost every protocol but I am not quite sure about it.

It is mentioned in the above post that the packet is fragmented and assembled again at the sender and the receiver's end respectively , but I would say that it is an incomplete explanation, the question is why it is needed. If you ask me the fragmentation is done on the basis of MTU , if any Packet is sent over a network but the all the time its size is not been accepted in all the networks , so for that reason it is being divided and at the end it is being collected.

In computer networks , the maximum transmission unit (MTU) of a any networking protocol is the total bytes of the largest protocol data unit that any layer can send forward . MTU limitations typically come into view in connection with a communications crossing point (NIC, serial port, etc.). The size of the MTU is determined during the time of the connection.

A bigger MTU brings better effectiveness since each packet takes more user data while protocol overheads, such as headers or fundamental per-datagram delays, remain constant; the resultant higher effectiveness means a slight progress in bulk protocol output. A bigger MTU also implies processing of smaller amount datagrams for the equal amount of data. At the receiver’s end the offset values are being used to collect the fragments and then again collected at the receiver as whole packet .This packet fragmentation becomes more useful when there is a larger size of data, since the transfer of larger size of packets is a very slow process, the data fragmentation helps in speeding up the tasks.