Thread: How to secure SonicWALL TZ 200 Wireless N

How to secure SonicWALL TZ 200 Wireless N

I just came to know that the SonicWALL TZ 200 Wireless N are more prone to the virus and other malware. My friend told me UTM is the best option for protecting the SonicWALL TZ 200 Wireless N. Also I was looking for the details of device and interfaces. So provide me with that too. Since, you members explain the things very well (in simple language), I thought to take some help from here. I am expecting that some members hanging out there will help me in some manner.

Re: How to secure SonicWALL TZ 200 Wireless N

To the increasing threats such as viruses Trojans , Spam Hacker attacks from the Internet to check or, the market offers numerous technologies. This includes virus scanners, firewalls, anti spyware and anti-adware software, intrusion detection and prevention systems, including VPN gateways. These systems are able to monitor the user requests so that the internal data and applications in an enterprise can not be abused. In order to reduce security vulnerabilities and costs of administration, go to the product providers to the formerly separate functions or products integrate enhanced. Parallel to the pack manufacturer to security devices are often in a hardware unit together and place them under a single console. This eliminates the cumbersome administrative distinct and separate security systems. These products are often marketed under the banner of the Unified Threat Management (UTM).

The SonicWALL TZ 200 Wireless N is one of the many offerings in this segment. According to the manufacturer, the system for small companies or branch offices be designed and thus are very easy to use. In this case, the machine should have features that are otherwise only in expensive solutions. The UTM has features like Anti-Spam Service, Gateway Anti- Virus, Anti-Spyware, Intrusion Prevention, Application Intelligence, Enforced Client Anti-virus and content filtering services. In our little test prove, the SonicWALL appliance, whether the device meets the high expectations. The connection to a computer to configure the SonicWALL TZ 200 Wireless N can be made by one of the five generic network connections "X0" to "X4". This, however, must be assigned to each IP address to be known. Alternatively, the management port for the console connection. This requires about is a well established console program, as Hyper Terminal or winrs use, too.

The manufacturer provides the SoncWall-TZ-series in three different versions: TZ 100, TZ 200 and TZ 210th Its most important distinguishing feature is the data throughput and performance of appliances in different application aspects. For this test we have chosen The TZ 200 Wireless N. The unit serves small networks and comes up with the following vendor-specific performance data:
    • Statful throughput: 100 Mbit / s
    • GAV throughput: 50 Mbps
    • IPS throughput: 70 Mbps
    • UTM throughput: 35 Mbps
    • Number of connections: 12,000
    • New connections: 1000 per sec
    • 3DES/AES Throughput 75 Mbit / s
    • unlimited number of nodes
    The model SonicWALL TZ 200 Wireless N is the second smallest variation at SonicWALL. It is a pedestal with the dimensions 16 x 14.3 x 3.7 cm delivered. On the back of the appliance are six network ports. Five of these ports can be used for the segmentation of the 10/100-Mbit-Netzes be used. Are you with the names provided "X0" to "X4. The sixth port is a console port. It is designed to manage the box. In addition, the manufacturer of the UTM a reset button and a side-mounted USB port for 3G modem sticks donated. On the front are the status LEDs. A particularly optical characteristic are the two detachable antennas that can be adjusted almost at will.

New appliances can be accessed through any port and IP address 192 168 168 168. When you first login the device asks for the user name and password. By default, they are "admin" and "password". After the first inspection makes the web interface a clear impression and informed about its status. The significant rider such as network, wireless, firewall , anti- spam and VPN convey the impression close to that the configuration of the appliance using the mouse should be very simple. But this is a fallacy, because the problems of the web configuration lies in the TZ 200 Wireless N in detail. For the UTM a wealth of different menu items and complex setting options in the submenus. Navigation through all the options has resolved the manufacturer with the Web graphical user interface is good, does not relieve the user, any complex configuration or deal in detail.

In addition to the previously mentioned to firewall features an entire set includes the UTM security at other facilities. These include an IPS, functions for anti- spam and anti- viral , managing certificates for secure communication, protection against spoofing, the management of VPNs and other security tools. Regarding the VPNs supported the SonicWALL appliance today all common variants such as IPSec, SSL, PPTP or LT2P. The scope of the appliance is also a content filter that blocks the flow of data by multiple criteria such as keywords, URLs, domain names or file types examined and, if necessary. This filter features of the SonicWALL thus DLP functions mapped. In order to prevent failure of the appliance, the manufacturer has its security box with HA features (High Availability) features such as failover. For this purpose, but requires two physical appliances, and parallel networks. These additional security options SonicWALL is based, however, very strongly to the procedures described in the respective security functions are normal.