Thread: How can be digital signature used in Encryption and decryption process

How can be digital signature used in Encryption and decryption process

Hey Guys, well I have got a project on a topic How can be digital signature used in Encryption and decryption process? I am totally blank about it. As, I am not aware of digital signature concept so I don’t have any idea about the current topic. Is it related to internet security or what? I am finding it very difficult for preparing this topic. If anybody having any clue or knowledge then please let me know as soon as possible.

Re: How can be digital signature used in Encryption and decryption process

When you talk about Asymmetric key cryptography, we had considered the only situation, in which if X is sender & Y receiver, then X encrypts the message with Y's public key and on receiving, Y decrypts with his own private key. This method only ensures secure communication between the two. Now consider another situation. If X is sender and Y is receiver, X encrypts the message using his own private key! On receiving, Y decrypts it using X's public key. The purpose behind this move is 'authentication'. It is clear that, only X knows his private key. So, when Y receives this message, it is an indication or proof that it has originated only from X and none else! Remember that in earlier scheme, the purpose was only 'confidentiality' and the origin of message was not the concern.

Well now, one may say that if someone else wants to intercept this communication it should be easy. i.e. anyone can decrypt the message who knows X's public key. This is true, but then it will not be possible for anyone to again encrypt this message as only X knows his private key. Thus receiver here will not be fooled that message came from X This scheme confirms the origin of the message. So, in this case X cannot deny that he has sent the message to Y, because it was encrypted with X's private key, known only to X.

This technique is vitally important in the E-commerce concept used in the Internet. It proves as a valid mechanism for 'authenticity' of individual. Most of the financial transactions done over Internet make use of this method. Actual working of Digital signatures involves the use of a concept called 'Message digest' or 'hash'. Message digest is something like the summary of original message. This is basically used to verify the integrity of data i.e. to ensure that the message has not been modified after it was sent by sender and before it reaches the receiver.