Thread: NIS 2011: background tasks resulting in constant disk activity

NIS 2011: background tasks resulting in constant disk activity

I have newly become sincerely irritated at the background tasks NIS 2011 is performing. This is resulting in extreme disk activity that can previous up to 7 hours. I don't feel this has anything to do with inactive scans as the logs specify they just take some minutes. As well my full system scans just take 2 hours, so I truly want to know what NIS is doing to my system and if there is any way I can stop it from occurrence another time. The constant disk activity can be heard below and is in fact difficult while it comes to sleep. Otherwise, I like this product. But it is receiving to the point where I am thinking regarding uninstalling because of the continuous sound. Suggestions or insights would be deeply respected.

Re: NIS 2011: background tasks resulting in constant disk activity

I just want to make certain, and not take for settled that you have not previously completed this, but while you release Norton, click on the Settings on the Computer Setting tab ensure to observe that the inactive Time Scans choice is turned off. In the Miscellaneous Settings Bar, disable Idle Optimizer and observe if this assists. I am just utilizing the AV version, but from while I utilized the Suite, these should be in the similar place. Even though I have Idle Time Scans twisted off, Norton still does the rapid scan and not the Full scan, as a minimum that is how the Suite was, and this AV version is functioning for me. Hope this assists.

Leaving the Idle Time Scan twisted off without having shaped a frequently scheduled scan is not suggested. Since someone has identified the times of the FSS and lined that out, it would be preferable to get more information as requested in the earlier posts before making modification to the settings. If the sound from the HDD activity is traveling from one floor to one more, then assembly this system information is critical.

Good point, as no background scan or optimization would truly cause such a clear sound as to be heard from so far away except it was possibly hardware related, a hard drive problem, or as well if it is a notebook, the CPU fan going on high because of a few rigorous background running procedure? You are right, the earlier responds we are quite shrewd in their explanation. Expectantly I will get improved at picking up on those things too.

This would be one case where it would be truly obliging to in fact be able to perceive the sound it is making but obviously this is impossible for me. Does it really sound like the hard disk or fans? Is the computer, a laptop or a desktop computer? There are two separate possibilities if NIS is generating the activity, one is defragging of your hard disk and the other is a full system scan. But these are not troubles with NIS as these are standard and essential activities. A full scan is run just about one time per week and depending on the size of your system it can get as much as quite a lot of hours to finish. As well if you interrupt a full scan in progress by utilizing the PC in the middle of it, the event will not obtain logged into history until it is able to finish at a later time.