Thread: Preventing user to access BT Home Hub

Preventing user to access BT Home Hub

I am user of BT hub and I have connected my computer to through Ethernet Link. I have recently recognized that someone is trying to accessing the internet by using the hub. I want to know that fellow is using my download quota which is offered by ISP? Also I want to know whether he is able to access the broad for free. Is there any way to prevent him? Can I switch off wireless network of the hub? Please provide me appropriate solution on this matter.

Re: Preventing user to access BT Home Hub

Yes, that fellow is accessing the broad band for free and also he is using the allotted quota of download which is offered by the ISP. I can tell you how to disable and enable the Wi-Fi setting of the Hub. To achieve this you have to login into Home hub as Admin and perform the following the steps. In to Home hub 1 you have to browse to ‘configuration’ and then go for ‘Wireless’. Now you have to uncheck ‘Interface Enabled’. Now in to Home hub2 navigate to ‘Settings’ and select ‘Advanced settings’ then go for ‘wireless’ You have to select ‘No’ to disable wireless network. I hope it will help you to solve your problem

To login in to router setting through web browser you have tp perform following steps. Click on the start menu of your computer. Select ‘Run’ and type ‘cmd’ in it. Now you have to type ‘ipconfig/all’ . Scroll to the ‘Default Gateway’ and write ‘192.169.0.1.’ Now launch the web browser. Type ‘192.169.0.1.’ into address bar. A window will appear on the screen and it will prompt you for user name and the password. Once you have login into router you can modify the settings for the same. Please let me know if above mention solution worked for you.

Well I suggest you to use Firewall to prevent unwanted access to your internet. To enable Firewall into Home hub you have to perform the following steps. Into your Home Hub v1 select ‘configuration’ and the go for ‘Firewall’. Into Home Hub v2 Select setting then search for Advanced Setting now go for Application sharing and select Firewall. I am informing you that applications which need an incoming internet connection will not work in this situation. You can unlock a port from the firewall to solve this situation. Please try it I think it will help you.

Well according to your situation I suggest to use Home Hub Wireless SSID. SSID is known as Network Name which is used to spot your BT Home hub to additional Wi-Fi components. You can disable this SSID for the security concern. You have to login into system as Admin and perform the following steps. Into Home hub v1 select Advanced and select configuration into it. No go for ‘Wireless’ after that select ‘Security’ where you will found ‘Broadcast Network Name’ uncheck it. Into Home Hub V2 Select ‘Settings’ select ‘wireless’ and then go for ‘Security’. Now you should set ‘No’ for the ‘Hide’ wireless network name’ .Once you have completed you can create new device into Hub SSID.

You can restrict the user by creating time session for internet. As per my knowledge it is not available in to Home Hub v1. But you can use this feature into Home Hub v2. You have to login into router as admin in to Home Hub v2. Now navigate to Settings and go for the ‘BT Access Control’. This will restrict the user to access internet depending on time constraint. You should try it to achieve the same.