Thread: Best Wired Connection medium

Best Wired Connection medium

I have got a desktop system, I do not have any issue with my desktop, I am actually a networking student, since I am new to this field , I need some help from you people. Actually I have got a project in my next semester , so I need a bit of idea about the cables being used in my system. I have heard about the various cables being used in it, which are the cables being used in the telephone lines and the internet services rendered by the ISP services. It will be very much helpful if you give us a brief idea so that we can calculate the total cost of the expenditure and divide it among the group members. Actually we are planning to create a small demonstration of a LAN set up , how the LAN works in a local area , I am asking about the cables because different cables are being used by different service providers and different cables vary in speed and the speed of the service being provided. So please give you valuable suggestions and ideas on this topic. Thank you in advance.

Re: Best Wired Connection medium

Yes , I appreciate your work . It seems a very delightful work. It reminds me of my college, you should take active participation in such projects. Since you have posted question, it seems you are very keen towards your project. You should use a twisted pair or a coaxial cable, there is one more cable you can use in your demonstration project called as fiber optics, I do not exactly know how they work , but I know that they are a bit expensive . Since it is just a project and I do not recommend you to use the the fiber optics, because it will be to much expensive and your project will incur other expenditure too, I think it will be unwise to invest all the budget in in one thing, you can make your lively by spending balanced amount of your collected money on each and every material. I think using twisted pair cable or a coaxial cable will give you more than your expected results and will fit in your budget as well. So better set a LAN model using either of these cables. Once you decided in case if you are not satisfied by the results , then you can type your query again after discussing with your group mates. All the very best with your project.

A machinery that uses glass (or plastic) threads (fibers) to broadcast data. A fiber optic cable made up of a package of glass threads, each of which is competent of sending messages which are modulated in light signals.
    Fiber optics has numerous merits over conventional the coaxial and twisted pair
    • Fiber optic cables have a much better bandwidth than the coaxial and twisted pair
    • . This implies that they can carry more data signals. Fiber optic cables are less vulnerable than coaxial and twisted pair to intrusion.
    • Fiber optic cables are much thinner in volume and lighter in weight than those two cables.
    • Data in the fiber optics is sent the data digitally as normally being done rather than sending it analogically.

The main limitation of fiber optics is that the cables are very much costly than those two cables and are too much difficult to install , on the other hand these types of cables are very much weak .Fiber optics is a mostly popular technology for LAN setups . Along with the telephone lines they are progressively replacing conventional telephone lines and getting a wider response . I think they will replace both the coaxial and twisted cables in future.

Coaxial cable is a sort of wire which is used to carry radio signals, not only radio but also video signals, and measurement and data signals as well . Coaxial cables exists because we cannot just use the open wire or cannot bury it.. We face signal loss of signal for convenience and litheness. Coaxial cable is made of an insulated interior conductor which is enclosed with a protective cover. The signal is travels between the cable cover and the interior conductor. This arrangement give quite good defensive against the distortion from outside cable, keeps the signal well within the wire and keeps cable uniqueness constant.

Coaxial cables and machines connected to them are not ideal. There is always some sort of signal producing from this wire. For this reason, the external conductor also works as a defensive to reduce pairing of the signal into neighboring wire . More safety exposure implies less security. A coaxial wire is made of a couple of conductors that put in to a common axis. The inner conductor is typically a straight cable, it can be solid in nature or it also can be trapped and the outer conductor is generally a guard that may be just like a foil. Most Common coaxial cable resistance is used in variant applications is 50 ohms and sometimes 75 ohms. Wire with the resistance 50 ohms are normally used in radio transmitter antenna connectivity , many such equipments and Ethernet cables. But still they cannot outnumber fiber optic cables as far as performance of the cabling is concerned.Coaxial cable are usually portrayed with the resistance and loss of the cable. The impedance of a coaxial cable has no such relevancy with the length of the cable . This resistance is computed by the size of the wire and spacing of the conductors and the type of dielectric being used in the cables or wires . For standard coaxial wire used at rational frequency, the quality resistance depend on the dimensions of the interior and exterior conductors. The characteristic resistance of a cable (Zo) is computed by the a arithmetic formula 138 log b/a, where b stands for the internal diameter of the outside conductor and a stands or the external breadth of the interior conductor.