Thread: I want to build a file server

I want to build a file server

Hello everyone I want a simple help for setting up a file server on Windows Server. I have around 15 Windows XP computer can access the hard drive that is on the server and also access the Internet through the server for all centralized. There are other more points which I want to setup at my home also. I have a basic setup of 3 pc where I want to share my media files. Now for the office work I can opt for a better hardware for data backup and security. While for the home work a basic file server is more than enough. I want to buy two new systems which can be work more properly for the data backup solution. To have all the internet I can simply plug the switch with the internet connection and that can be share. But what about the file sharing.

Re: I want to build a file server

For people with more than one computer at home, it may be convenient to have what is called a file server. It is just to share files with many people. By having a file server, you can put these files on the server and access them easily. There are some free tools that you can try like Filezilla. It is a very easy tool to configure. Run it create a account and done. If you have Windows server then there are inbuilt functionality that offers you to create a workgroup. All the files can be access with one click from the network places. Just put a dedicated machine to the server so that all the things can stay at one place only.

You can make your system as file server at the time when you install Windows Server. The installer should take care of the process and by default are five client licenses set. And, normally, the standard edition comes with ten client licenses. During the installation, the server looks for its own IP address if the network has a DHCP server is available and the default settings are selected. In most cases it is more appropriate for the server a fixed IP. Therefore, equal to the installation, select Custom settings to arrive at the course. Click Settings window appears, known for the network components, in the Internet Protocol (TCP / IP) along with a fixed IP address gateway and DNS IP setting available. After installation, the system is only there once blank. All server services, Microsoft has switched off from the start.

The main use of Windows server is typically the file server. Before the hard disk receives the files from the network, it is necessary to turn on the file server. Go in your Windows server system and then go to administration function. There you have to go in add or remove and choose file server from there. After clicking Next, the wizard asks whether to set default quotas. Here it is advisable to establish a safety limit of 100 or 200 MB, especially when users are working with a lot of multimedia files, or tend to shovel too much data to the server. You can configure user accounts provide disq quota, and other important things to secure your system. lobal quotas can be the way one would still set in the properties of a disk. The Indexing service for the server should be shut down. Once done create users on the server and done your server is ready. This is recommended for both basic and office work.

It is easy with Linux to make a file server. For that you can try SAMBA client / server. It is free and easy to use also. I think your idea basically okay getting to know something new, but you should be aware that you it is less likely to recommend two different environments linux and windows to mix when the united nor the other knows really well. This could possibly give you more problems than it would like. It provides a good level of security and is relatively easy to implement. partly thanks to him we develop a file server. In most distributions, the samba server is pre-installed and pre-configure. The [homes] section allows to define access to the directory for each user. It is possible to define a personalized access to any directory on the machine by creating a section name that wants to give the resource.

Today hard drives are relatively cheap. A business can afford several terabytes (1 TB = 1000 GB) of storage for a few hundred dollars only. This drives cost reduction is obviously directly related to the explosion of needs in this area. However, it would be a mistake to reduce the problem of adding storage to a single disc. There are many storage methods that you can carry out. They offers you both small and large size data backup support. Like for example the DAS, NAS and SAN. In this the most appropriate for you can be SAN. SAN is a network dedicated to the sharing of storage space. Remember this are highly professional solutions and not recommended for your home use. They are costly also and there is also a regular need of proper configuration. For a small there are tons of free servers that you can try out.