Thread: How to install DNS in windows NT

How to install DNS in windows NT

I want to install DNS ie.. domain naming service in my windows NT system. I had used DNS in other operating system like windows server 2003, windows xp but i want to know how should i install DNS in my windows NT system. I visited to many website but i can't get the actual procedure for installing DNS in NT. Tell me how should i install in windows NT.PLEASE HELP ME.

Re: How to install DNS in windows NT

Installation of DNS is depend on your operating system. Every operating system have different procedure.If you are a windows NT user then follow the steps given below:
    1).Go to the Start button, Settings and then Control Panel.
    2).Double click the network icon and then click service tab.
    3).Click Add, and on the Select Network Service Dialog box, select Microsoft DNS Server and then click ok.
    4).Type location of your Windows NT source files, click OK, and then click Close.
    5).Restart your computer.
    Make sure that all your service packs have been re-applied.

For installing DNS in windows NT you have to follow some steps which are as follows:Go to start button then open control panel and click add or remove program. Then open add/remove windows component and select networking services and then check the box, then click details. after that select domain name service(DNS) and click OK and proceed then finish.

To install DNS in NT you need to create and edit your resouce record and other DNS management server task. Microsoft provide DNS manager.To start DNS Manager, select Programs from the Start menu. Next, select Administrative Tools and click DNS Manager. when your done, you'll see on screen "You administer DNS on Windows NT 4 using DNS Manager."
    Some are the tasks that DNS manager can perform are:-Adding DNS servers for local server, remote server, and virtual server management.-Configuring server properties.-Configuring primary and secondary zones.-Configuring transfer of data between primary and secondary zones. Such transfer of data is referred as a zone transfer.-Adding address records with hostname to IP address mappings for computers in the zone that are assigned static IP addresses.-Adding pointer records with IP address to hostname mappings.-Adding CNAME (alias), MX (mail exchange), and other resource records as needed.-Monitoring usage of DNS servers by using DNS Manager statistics.-Editing and maintaining zone configurations and resource records as needed.Try to apply above steps.