Thread: Application level firewall in my system

Application level firewall in my system

I have got a laptop computer with me , I am a frequent net user I think my system is quite insecure to the net being used and I want it to keep it secure from the outside vulnerabilities and make it secure . Since I download a lot of applications in through the Torrent file , so I just wanted to know if there is any sort of firewall that can be used on the base of any application. What you have to say about the packet switching and application level firewall.

Re: Application level firewall in my system

I think you should take this seriously, from he way you have posted your queries it seems you have got a decent knowledge about the security systems being implemented in the network, but it would have been an added knowledge if you could have known about the vulnerabilities being there there such as Viruses and Malware. If you want to establish a server you would better opt for either a proxy server or a Application firewall.

Some of the most dominant firewall software on the market is intended to run on an regular computer — possibly a dedicated server if you are securing a big network. Other firewall application is designed to run on private hardware that you have to purchase along with the application, turning the package into a "security appliance." As a universal rule, applications are faster, easier to install and work on — and also more costly. But there no assurance that an application will do a expected and satisfactory job than a software-only firewall.

Lately, application-level firewalls (occasionally called proxies) have been looking more intensely into the application data passing through their filters. By taking into consideration the framework of client requests and application replies, these firewalls endeavor to enforce accurate application behavior, block nasty activity and assist organizations to make sure the safety of susceptible information and network. They can monitor user activity as well. Application-level filtering might comprise of defense against spam and viruses too, and be able to prevent unwanted Web sites based on content rather than just their protocol address.

Well I am partially convinced with this but not completely . If that sounds too convincing to be true, it is. The disadvantage to deep packet examination is that the more narrowly a firewall inspects network data flow, the longer the time is taken , and the more it will impact your network performance will maintain. This is why the highest-end security applications comprise plenty of RAM to increase the speed of packet processing.