Thread: Does a leftover registry entries pose any security threat

Does a leftover registry entries pose any security threat

My system is running with Windows vista Home premium 32 bit SP2. The security software in this system is Norton internet security 2010 v17.8.0.5. I was having some issues while installing the java. So that I took a look into the system registry. I didn’t alter anything there. I have seen some stuffs there of the older java installations. Now, when I take a look into the uninstall programs of the Control panel I saw only java 6 with update 23. Even in source folder also. So I boast a few anxieties that might expect there are extra portion of elder Java installs in the registry and further so can these extra old parts be a security risk? What do you think about it?

Re: Does a leftover registry entries pose any security threat

As far as I know there is no easy method to exploit the left-over registry keys after uninstalling java. I know that even after uninstalling the software all the registry entries will not be going to removed. And the main thing is that these will not going to pose any security threats to your OC. So do not go for any cleaning or complete elimination of those keys. Let them alone.

The windows version of Norton Internet Security is condemned for not uninstalling totally, departing needless files and registry keys. The previous versions of NIS prior to 2009 moreover installed a split LiveUpdate program, which helps to update any branded Norton software. The client ought to uninstall both Norton Internet Security and the LiveUpdate part physically. The LiveUpdate module is deliberately gone after to update further Norton-branded stuffs, but will not uninstall if they are not exist. Symantec has created the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of leftover registry keys and ideals by the side of with files and folders. Un-installation will not take out contribution facts, conserved to put off clients from installing numerous test copies. Symantec hearsay that Norton 2010 series of stuffs attributes a cleaner uninstalls and over-installs are the optional bring up to date method to 2011.

I have not originated single lone portion of software anyplace which eliminates each and every one of the garbage they lay into the registry when you completely uninstall the software. My individual estimation is that it is unpardonable that uninstall does not take out all this objects. As an alternative above instance these keys they abscond at the rear of messes the registry. Separately from disordering your registry these keys are totally risk-free and are NOT a security threat. One thing make in mind that do not ever challenge to alter the registry by yourself.

There is no threat from any leftover registry entries from any third party application or other. You just need to care about any modified registry. Because those left over registries do not cause any irritation to the computer but the modified registry may going to show some sense either in OS or in Norton security. So don’t go for any modification or wipe out of those entries. They will wipe out when you format the OS.