Thread: Virus found: NAV gives puzzling information

Virus found: NAV gives puzzling information

OS X 10.6.2
    NAV Version: 11.1.1
    I receive a popup window: Title Bar is Norton Antivirus, with a message which states "1 impure file was fixed. This occurs while I shift an email, with an attachment, in Entourage 2008, from one folder to another. The attachment has not been detached, and when I shift the file around, I get the similar NAV message. There are few problems that I have:
    1. Why wasn't the tainted attachment removed?
    2. Why can't I discover the name of the virus which is in the attachment?
    3. While I view the log, there is a message stating that the virus was completely fixed. This does not appear to be a precise message because the attachment is still attached, and there is no file while I release the quarantine file.

Re: Virus found: NAV gives puzzling information

The problem is that email attachments cannot be detached by NAV from within Entourage, due to the way they are amassed. You will necessitate removing the attachment from the email manually. On the other hand as an attachment the virus is not a threat except it is saved to disk, which is while you are seeing the alert. I was annoying to copy the problem you are seeing while moving the email between folders, thus far without victory. For one thing, I think my mail servers are ending even fake virus attachments from coming through, since I don't get my personal messages. But even if I shift the Sent items to other folders, the attachments are not notice d. A few questions:
    1. Is the mail account in query POP or IMAP?
    2. While you seem at the NAV log, does it provide the file path? If so, what is that path?

This is a POP account. In fact all of my accounts in Entourage are POP accounts. I can forward you the email to observe if it gets past the server scan. I can as well try to ZIP the attachment, modify the extension, and send it to you for further analysis. In my first post I disregard to state that I as well get one more notification window titled "Norton Notification". It states that the file was completely fixed. As point of interest, the contents of this window are in black and white. This state is very strange for me because utilizing Outlook, and NIS, or NAV, the file attachment can be removed by that antivirus code.

I believe I establish why you are receiving the alerts while using Entourage. There is a preference in Entourage below General Preferences: Spotlight that reads: Include attachments in Spotlight explore outcome. If this is checked, attachments are in fact saved to the Metadata folder, at least long sufficient for Spotlight to index them. So you can avoid the alerts by immobilizing this alternative, though I suppose it assists to tell you if you have any impure attachments. Unluckily, the path information is not very helpful; because you cannot tell from the folder name which email the attachment is linked with, though it does have the name of the attachment.